Thread: Shank & Embellishment forming question

Default Shank & Embellishment forming question

Hello all, I'm hoping I can get your guidance on the correct process here. Apologies if this is in the incorrect place,.

Basically, I'm trying to create a ring shank with an embellishment on the side (Shoulder?)

The first time I tried this, I soldered the embellishments onto the flat shank before forming.
    I had a nightmare of a time forming it (hammer & mandrel), and ended up snapping the shank just where the embellishment joined.
    The Soldered section, being thicker, was very hard to bend.

The second time I've tried this, I formed the shank then tried to solder on the embellishments.
    This meant I had to form the embellishments to the exact curve of the shank which was challenging.
    Also had a fine time trying to keep everything in place while soldering on a rounded curve.

So, my question is, how would you approach this?

I think maybe if I used a ring forming tool I might be able to get my first approach to work, but I'm not sure.

I really value your input & please excuse me if my terminology is in correct. I've put together a quick diagram to explain.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exp1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	13077

I would form the ring, shape the embellishments, then solder to the ring you may need to use binding wire or small clamping devices, like tweezers or Titanium clamps (plenty of info on these on the forum)

Thank you!

I read through a lot of information on clamping devices here which has helped a lot.
    I think my main hurdle was forming the embellishment to be exactly the same profile so that soldering would be possible. I should keep practising.

So would you approach a complete outside embellishment in the same way? I'll attach another diagram for explanation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exp2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	13078

A complete outside embellishment I would add with the shank flat. Because it will bend evenly once soldered together. I just recently sandwiched two layers of metal together to make a shank then formed it into a band. Undoubtedly it is a bit harder to bend with the addition of solder but still more than achievable.

Amazing, thank you both.

When bending from flat, always bend the ends first.
    A ring bending tool makes this much easier, bu you need a narrow strip of leather on the outside of the metal to protect it from tool marks. https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/ring-bending-pliers Dennis.

Thanks, a ring bending tool is on my ever-growing list of tools I'm working towards.