Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you organise your stock?

Default How do you organise your stock?

I've tried neumerous ways to organise my finished pieces, and am getting frustrated with not finding a way that keeps me happy!

Ideally I woud like to keep mine in it's presentation box, but this takes up more space and I can't easily see the piece inside. This might possibly change as I get more organised and have code numbers for everything that I can put on the outside of the box sleeve.

At the moment I have each piece in a grip seal bag and each of these placed in one big box, far too disorganised for me to cope with.

I'd be interested how you guys organise stock if you are willing to share? Amy ideas you can give me woudl be gratefully received, as I have definitely hit a brick wall with this one!
    Lucinda

I've battled with this for a very long time and am finally happy.

It's a little haphazard in that I just know where certain pieces are - I don't have an indexing system as such. But when I do fairs and have personal callers occasionally, I need to balance safe storage and ease of viewing and speed for putting out on display. So I use a combination of things.

My husband just yelled that dinner is out and I have black fingers from sanding, so I'll come back to this later, sorry.

hmmm.

I've got a big bag. Inside that are lots of other ziploc bags. Inside those are more ziploc bags (are you detecting a theme yet?)

I reckon I can find any given piece in a matter of seconds though!

I think a box sounds quite an advanced system.

My finished pieces are on necks on my display. I seem to have had a spate of customers calling by to look at the display and buy, so I suppose its ok. But really they should be in ziplock bags to stop tarnishing!

Jules x

i dont exactly have much in the way of stock lol so my are in the griplock bags recycled from cookson goodies lol
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Right, I'm back, sorry about that.

I have various systems that combine storage (i.e. preventing tarnishing and keeping things safe) and ease of getting them set up for display at fairs etc. - so the two considerations go very much hand in hand. I abandoned ziploc bags some time ago as being incredibly tedious and impractical when setting up stalls. Some bags can seemingly discolour items where they touch too.

I decided some time ago that small items like earrings sell better when individually displayed, so I abandoned my large boards in favour of individual methods. People like to pick them up and look at them, or gather short listed items together to make a selection. So many of my earrings are already in gift boxes on an angled card and these I just pop the lid on and these all live in one air tight box. I also use little freestanding card busts that each house a pair and these are stacked in another airtight box. With another box of larger busts with collections of similars on.

The remainder of my stock, all necklaces and bracelets etc. are in some stacking flat tray style tool boxes made by Stanley. They each have 24 compartments and some of the dividers had little notches in which were ideal for hanging matching earrings on, so recently I set to more of the dividers with my rotary tool to cut more notches. I can upend them and nothing comes out of its cell. Sometimes I stack more than one item in a cell with some cleaning cloth between them, I cut some squares the right size.

Each item gets a dumbbell sticker on with the price and item no. - which in most cases is the frame number of the main photo I use, so anyone can look through my boxes and see what something will cost - they're not in any particular order, but I have boxes on general themes.

When I display at fairs I usually tack a little pre-printed card with the price onto the display with a tiny blob of blutak, so these cards, just get stuck on the inside of the lid near the item, ready to re-use. I put anti-tarnish strips inside each of the boxes too.

It's a bit haphazard, but it works for me and I haven't lost or had anything damaged this way yet and they seem to keep clean enough too.

That sounds incredibly organised, but I can't picture it... but then again, its a bit late for me.. would you be willing to post a piccie up for us?

Its intersting that you say earrings sell better when individually displayed, as I hang some of mine on my boards and others are on a smallish plastic display board, but they are incredibly fiddly to put on and take off and I think it puts customers off. I sometimes leave them as they are and give customers their earrings in a ziplock bag instead. Where do you get these anti-tarnish strips from, they sound very good.

ummmm, lots to think about there, but its time for bed for me, so will spk tomorrow..

night night

Jules x

i have a big box and i chuck everything of no importance in it then i have a smaller box that is important ie silver and i put this in the big box x

i love boxes for everything, all my crafting stuff is seperated into loads and loads of boxes of various shapes and sizes, and as soon as i get into my room, and have moved that all in, then the jewellery side will start to get the same treatment, i just find it helps to organise my head if everything is boxed. Atm because i have to pack everything into the tool boxes, i have my stuff as i said in the sealable bags, but all solders are togeter, all silks, all wires, all beads are in boxes already, seed beads are in tubes in a bag atm, and all tools are bagged atm to help protect them a little while they are all in a box. I just like to know that if i want some wire e.g, they will all be together - each in its own bag so i know what size it is, but then all in a bigger bag to keep them together. Its a tiny thing, but it helps me feel in order.
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    Where do you get these anti-tarnish strips from, they sound very good.

Jules x
    I use these anti tarnish tabs too.... I shouldn't really have to since I use fine silver and argentium - neither of which are prone to tarnish - so whether they work or not is open to debate as far as I am concerned. (I am conditioned by past experience to expect all silver to tarnish when I even just look at it!!!). However, I do include one tab with every purchase...as well as a small square of polishing cloth...so people can make use of them with their other jewellery too...and people do like to get a 'freebie'!!

I can't find any on the Cooksons site.... Mine are made by 'intercept technology' and you can get info on them by googling 'anti tarnish strips' (or tabs). I have to admit to getting them from 'P..... M.....'