Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you organise your stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    I too give my customers an anti-tarnish tab from Emma with a ziploc bag and if they buy earrings, a selection of earnuts too. I put them in an envelope printed with 'complimentary accessory pack' - which is a bit grand really and must be a bit of a let down for them when they see what's in it. I want to find a cleaning cloth I can cut into small squares too as I've run out of those.

For my own storage I use the longer strips made by 3M - I got mine from Lakeland - can't find them on their site as their search is lousy. You can cut them up to use smaller tabs with individual pieces, but I use a full strip on a storage box. I'm assuming between the good seal on the box and the tabs something works, as I'm not experiencing a tarnish problem, which I did occasionally with bags.

I'll take some photos of my storage boxes later when I need to do some photos.
    That would be great if you could Boo, thank you. I was looking for a toolbox/organiser like you described and couldn't find anything like it!
    Lucinda

I have a new box not used yet and I know it has the original label still inside the lid, so I'll get the name of it for you, I know they're made by Stanley and I think I paid £3.99 each for them in Wilkies.

They stack together, so it makes it easy for storage and carrying to craft fairs etc. They work really well for me - and the way I work. But these things are pretty personal and what works for one person won't necessarily suit someone else.

Ah, I was looking for full on big tool boxes! They sound quite ideal, actually. Ang there's a Wilkinson's just up the road, hmmm
    Lucinda

These are some very rough photos of my storage boxes - one has the label still in so I've taken a photo of that too. I lied - they have 23 compartments (I said 24), one at the front is a double width but also shallower, so on the outside of the box is a hollow space to grip it by - which I find really helpful, you can easily grab one out of a stack and slip it out.

They're translucent and you put the dividers in yourself - so potentially you could leave some out for bigger items. Some of the dividers had notches in them already and I found this really good for hanging earrings on, so cut some more in plain dividers myself. The top is translucent enough that you can see the contents too. I put dark paper underneath so you could see the shape better in some photos.

I'll need to do two posts as I can seemingly only include 4 photos.

Inside the box with my cut slots for earrings:

The box from the outside, translucent enough to see inside:

The hollow section at the front to pick them up by:

The label for the box - I think they were £3.99 each at Wilkinsons, I just buy one periodically when I'm in and have some dosh, hence having a spare.

I've been using them for a while now and they've been in and out of the car to craft fairs etc. and I'm in them all day, so they've withstood constant use really well.
    Last edited by Boo; 18-09-2009 at 01:56 PM. Reason: An afterthought

Thanks Boo, now I see them they look even better! I think I have to see if I can get my hands on some.

Thanks again for taking the time to show me everything!
    Lucinda

Thanks so much for sharing your photos with us Boo. That is one fantstic piece of kit you have there. I love the fact that they have notches in, so you can hang the earrings from and that they are quite deep - really useful. I can see they'll be a sudden rush of us shopping at Wilkinsons to get some of their kit!

So, do you use those boxes as part of your display, so people can choose which pieces of jewellery they want, or they a 'behind the scenes' type of affair?

Ah Bee, all those little extras, whether they are 5p or a bit more give the impression that we are providing something for our customers and we are of course, but its just something that goes that one step further and I like that - its the icing on the cake. I think customers feel that if they get something complimentary it always feels like a nice bonus - I know it does when I buy something (even if I'm actually paying for it)!.. its still a brillo tip.

Jules x

Sorry Boo, I've just re-read your earlier post and realised you've already said that you put your jewellery out in boxes for your display.
    Last edited by Petal; 18-09-2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: re-read Boo's earlier, which answered my question !

No, as you've reaslised, I don't use those boxes for display, just my own storage, although they look neat enough that if I have a personal caller, I can open them up on the table and let them look at things in them and it's not important if they pop things back in the wrong pigeon hole etc. as everything is priced. Many of my earrings are either in boxes or on mini freestanding cards - as shown in the photos below - those I just leave assembled and store in an airtight box.

The boxes come with some notches cut in the partitions, but I added many more myself - a highly dangerous session with a rotary tool!

I have some blogs with my stall set up showing:
    Boo's Jewellery: Why didn't I think of it sooner!?
    Boo's Jewellery: My jewellery bust templates in use

With a template to download for the busts I make:
    Boo's Jewellery: Free necklace display bust template

I do things a little differently now and should really update the photos - all my display materials are now either black or cream.
    Last edited by Boo; 18-09-2009 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Thought of something else to add.

Boo, thankyou for this. You're so generous with your ideas and solutions and it is much appreciated.
    Di x

I use the really useful boxes you can stack two trays in one box i like them because they are not to deep, i am that daft hadent even thought of keeping my made up jewellery in them just off to find out wether the bracelets will fit, not as reasonalbe as the ones you have hough Boo i think the box is 3.99 and the trays 1.99 each.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0530.jpg