Thread: Etching not working

Default Etching not working

Hi everyone,
    I have mixed 150gms of ferric nitrate to 150mls of distilled water and suspended my piece in to. After 2 hours nothing is happening. Should I be doing something else?
    Thanks
    Kellz

What metal are you etching ?

I’m using Stirling silver but I’ve left it another couple of hours and it is now working. I think I was too impatient. Thanks for getting back to me.��

When I'm etching I place my etchant container (a take-away food container) on a hot water bottle. It speeds up the etch when it's warm.

I did wonder about that. This was my first attempt at etching and I will change a few things. I have decanted my etchant into a larger container. The original was ok as long as you didn’t move it. Next time I will try the hot water bottle
    Thanks for the tip.

If you weren't already aware, ferric nitrate (crystals) can degrade quite quickly due to both atmospheric moisture & light. Warming the solution should speed the rate of reaction; agitating (whether it's the classic feather, an occasional shake or a bubbler of some sort) helps stop bubbles adhering to the silver and improve the quality of the etch (as the bubbles prevent etchant reaching the metal).

Of course, now you've got nitrate ions, you could even venture into electroetching (which uses far lower concentrations).

Default Learning curve

Thanks for the help. Here are a couple of results. The firsts photo is a simple design using stop out varnish.
    This was my first attempt and I was pleased with the result. The second photo was where I experimented with different resists. The back was painted with stop out varnish which worked well, the front edges I used a permanent marker but with mixed results. You can see the pitting where the etchant has got through although it looked well covered. The letters which I am really pleased with were done with peel-off stickers used for card-making. I used the hot water bottle which sped up the etch.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6B76659A-5F45-4175-8B0A-D093FF461C33.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	10891Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2DB03E82-34D9-4B1B-AE3A-A823A0E134D5.jpg 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	10892
    I haven’t heard of electoetching but I will look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellz View Post
    Thanks for the help. Here are a couple of results. The firsts photo is a simple design using stop out varnish.
    This was my first attempt and I was pleased with the result. The second photo was where I experimented with different resists. The back was painted with stop out varnish which worked well, the front edges I used a permanent marker but with mixed results. You can see the pitting where the etchant has got through although it looked well covered. The letters which I am really pleased with were done with peel-off stickers used for card-making. I used the hot water bottle which sped up the etch.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6B76659A-5F45-4175-8B0A-D093FF461C33.jpg 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	10891Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2DB03E82-34D9-4B1B-AE3A-A823A0E134D5.jpg 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	10892
    I haven’t heard of electoetching but I will look into it.
    You can also consider adding citric acid to your FN,this will speed up etching time and reduce the gunk at the bottom. Oil based sharpies are the only pen others tend to use. Many use the sticky vinyl from the plotter machines. I now only use UV polymer film, then electroetch with dilute nitric acid.
    Many ways one cat, you have to find a process that suits you and delivers the specific look and an outcome you want. If you use FB there are some closed groups.
    Poor old Les