Thread: Barrel Tumbler Modification

Default Barrel Tumbler Modification

Do you ever get one of those days when your barrel tumbler just doesn't want to rotate the barrel? Well I just started the day with one of those days. I tried a lighter load, a heavier load, roughening the drive roller and barrel lids a little with a diamond rasp, but would the little blighter rotate the barrel... No way, it simply refused to play. I suspect it may be something to do with the weather, it doesn't like cold mornings, but when the weather is warmer the rubber rollers are stickier and away it goes, no problem.

Then the light went on... Finger Tape, aka self-adhesive elastic bandage. The narrow 2.5cm version is available here: http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-998-071

But I used a wider 5cm tape, seen in the photo as the blue wrapping on the drive roller.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barrel Tumbler.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	11194

I remember scrapping one when it just wouldn't revolve.
    Thanks for that.

Or you can spend£45 on a new set of rods Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kay View Post
    Finger Tape, aka self-adhesive elastic bandage.
    AKA Vetrap. £1.33 a roll in Mole Valley (for the cheap, non-3M stuff).
    Usually I just grab a few elastic bands off the drive where they've been discarded by the postman.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    AKA Vetrap. £1.33 a roll in Mole Valley (for the cheap, non-3M stuff).
    Usually I just grab a few elastic bands off the drive where they've been discarded by the postman.
    Our cat loves elastic bands and she retrieves them off the pavement and brings them in. Must be something to do with the smell. Pity I don't have a tumbler that needs repair!

If your tumbler is not rotating it is usually a friction related issue (Lack of lubrication). I have the same unit but larger and had issues myself until i got to terms with it.

Long term i am going to draw and 3d print the plastic mounts with bearing recesses and my own shaft etc so it runs alot smoother. The design is pretty poor to start with as the motor heats your barrel's up and can cause the water in your mix to expand and thus pop ends off.

You should be lubricating the rotation areas at least once a week with silicone spray grease ( shaft mounting points, washers and barrell stop) and then cleaning the excess off the shaft to ensure it isnt too slippy. Let it run with a empty barrell on after lube to let it settle in again.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Mick