Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The problem of chains sliding around...

Default The problem of chains sliding around...

I just wondered what answers had already been found to the problem of chains and wires sliding round when worn so the clasp ends up at the bottom next to the pendant?
    Obviously you can fix the chain to each side of the pendant etc but if you want to use the same chain or wire for several pendants is there any kind of bail that resolves this extremely annoying issue?
    I have a design in mind that I was thinking of getting cast but if there is already something on the market I could buy I would happily just buy it.

This is one of the jewellwery trades darkest secrets and rarely mentioned: unless a pendant is fixed in some way, the fastener will eventually work its way to the front and make the wearer look dishevelled.

Personally I am not a great fan of separate chains and pendants, partly because it complicates the routine for the wearer and partly that together they are more visible to avoid being lost or mislaid. Dennis.

For a lot of my more complicated necklaces I make a statement clasp. I like to have a surprise at the back of the neck but a lot of customers choose to wear the clasp round to the side or the front. My work is usually quite heavy and in my test run wearing I don't remember having a problem with a clasp of any kind coming round. I have with neckwires though

Thanks Caroline and Dennis,

My problem with attaching each time to the chain or wire is when its gold thats a lot of money for thick chain or wire and Im currently making a collection of several gold pendants so was thinking it would cut the costs down somewhat.
    The wires are definitely worse for slipping round, I think I may try the snap on bail actually as that way each pendant can also be worn with a choice of beads, wire or chain.
    The other option would be to use a tube bail with a curve in but that would only really work on chain I think.

I’m not sure I’ve seen a snap-on bail - how does it work?

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Thanks Caroline and Dennis,

My problem with attaching each time to the chain or wire is when its gold thats a lot of money for thick chain or wire and Im currently making a collection of several gold pendants so was thinking it would cut the costs down somewhat.
    The wires are definitely worse for slipping round, I think I may try the snap on bail actually as that way each pendant can also be worn with a choice of beads, wire or chain.
    The other option would be to use a tube bail with a curve in but that would only really work on chain I think.
    I can see why the cost working in gold would be the defining factor Sarah
    I see no reason why a gentle curve in a tube bail to match the normal curve of the necklet wouldn't work, I'm sure I've done it.
    I'm really looking forward to seeing this new work you've been mentioning

Thanks Caroline,

I think if the curve matches the normal curve it wouldn't stop it sliding through, I was thinking of either a shallow double curve or a curve the other way but a double curve wouldn't work with wire and Im not sure if an upside down curve would look too odd.

I haven't taken photos yet as working on a new style of photography but I will post some up when I do

This is the snap on bail, Sandra:
    https://www.kernowcraft.com/products...ring-bail-9c19
    Not sure how it will look but I was thinking I could solder a small bead onto the wire to hold it in position once on.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Thanks Caroline,

I think if the curve matches the normal curve it wouldn't stop it sliding through, I was thinking of either a shallow double curve or a curve the other way but a double curve wouldn't work with wire and Im not sure if an upside down curve would look too odd.

I haven't taken photos yet as working on a new style of photography but I will post some up when I do

This is the snap on bail, Sandra:
    https://www.kernowcraft.com/products...ring-bail-9c19
    Not sure how it will look but I was thinking I could solder a small bead onto the wire to hold it in position once on.
    That's adifficult one. I suppose you can only try it out in silver and see. I use wires for ease as I mostly use tube bails for small stuff and like to give customers the option of changing to a chain. In reality though I end up having to put a jump ring on because the wee catches are so fiddly and then they can't remove it without pliers. Never thought of a downward curve, I wonder if that would work or will it kink the wire? I like a challenge when it comes to things like this, I seem to need to problem solve rather than just making life easy for myself!

Yes I think it would kink the wire, especially the thicker ( 1.5mm and over ) wires which I prefer.
    I just made a wire necklet with 1.5mm and started off with a lobster clasp but changed it to a handmade toggle as I found it too irritating to do up, the toggle clasp is really easy and the chain and bar can be sized to fit through the bail.

Gravity is something we can't really fight with. So a clasp on a chain will always work its way down to next to pendant if the pendant is not fixed in place. One of the assmeblage jewellery makers I used to pore over always made her clasps part of the overall design. So there would be a pendant focal that was balanced by the clasp and its components to one side.