Thread: Cleaning off polish on copper.

Default Cleaning off polish on copper.

Hi,

I wonder if you guys can help. I am working with copper and am having some trouble when putting it in solution to clean off polish etc. It goes in polished and comes out with marks that look like the metal has been heat worked when it hasn't (just heated solution). Isn't always predictable. Just popped two bits in, one bit came out fine and the other bit was marked. I did it before I finished these off properly just to check what would happen but it, just happened on one piece.

The tree has these marks (thankfully the piece that needs more work) but the bird didn't get marked. I also couldn't get all the polish off as it hadn't been left in that long, just didn't want any more marks. Plus was just a test as have a little more work to do am going to need to go through the process again anyway Anyone have any ideas please or another way of cleaning up polish after I have finished? Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0107 (2).jpg  

I presume that you are using an ultrasonic machine, but residues of compounds are quickly washed off if brushed with a soft brush such as a make up brush and washing up liquid under a hot tap. Then carefully dried without rubbing.

You could also use oil free compounds.

Your present blemishes can be removed by rubbing face down on MicroMesh sheets, placed flat on the bench, used dry and starting with perhaps grade 1800, then 2400 and progressing upwards until you get the finish you want. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I presume that you are using an ultrasonic machine, but residues of compounds are quickly washed off if brushed with a soft brush such as a make up brush and washing up liquid under a hot tap. Then carefully dried without rubbing.

You could also use oil free compounds.

Your present blemishes can be removed by rubbing face down on MicroMesh sheets, placed flat on the bench, used dry and starting with perhaps grade 1800, then 2400 and progressing upwards until you get the finish you want. Dennis.
    Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the reply. No, I am using a polishing wheel with tripoli to start with which is getting in the crevices, in this case all between the branches and it won't come off with soap and warm water even with brushing from behind with a very soft tooth brush. Then putting in my pickling solution, citric acid and water warmed. I can get the blemishes out no problem but then have the same problem with polishing again or are you saying with MicroMesh sheets I can get the finish I want without having to polish (sorry not heard of those before)? Sorry for more questions. Thanks.
    Last edited by Animalnutty; 22-01-2018 at 05:23 PM.

Oh, just noted about the oil free compounds, will have a look at what is best on those, do you have any advise there? Thanks

I dont use polishing compounds, because they make a mess, but luxi has been around for some time and menzerna, a relative newcomer developed as car polish has an emnthiusiastic folowing.
    Both are available from Cookson. They are not oily, so much easier to wash off.

MicroMesh sheet is a rubberised fabric sheet, which if used dry leaves no residue and quickly produces a good finish if flat objects are rubbed on them.

For small 3D constructions I use 3M radial wheeels, from Cookson again starting with yellow, or red and then blue and green.
    My links will give you a broader overview. Unfortunately copper very quickly looses its pristine appearance and becomes spotty or tarnished as you watch.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lu...MOqVgAaY5aPQCg

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Me...GOzZgAa8_LK4AQ

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mi...BILagAb3-KqwCw

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=3m...IMSWgAb7hKCQAQ.

The trick is to make do with only about four grits of whatever you use, so as to save money Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Animalnutty View Post
    Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the reply. No, I am using a polishing wheel with tripoli to start with which is getting in the crevices, in this case all between the branches and it won't come off with soap and warm water even with brushing from behind with a very soft tooth brush. Then putting in my pickling solution, citric acid and water warmed. I can get the blemishes out no problem but then have the same problem with polishing again or are you saying with MicroMesh sheets I can get the finish I want without having to polish (sorry not heard of those before)? Sorry for more questions. Thanks.
    Hi,

See this thread, in particular the tip about soaking pieces in brush cleaner: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8936

Ive just switched from Luxi to Menzerna and find it much better, only used on gold so far though so don't know how well it would work on copper.
    Ive never washed pieces after polishing though, wouldn't that leave watermarks?

I loathe Luxi - I felt it was less effective than the traditional polishes I had been using. And it's about as bad to remove as the grease-based ones, so I switched to Menzerna a while back - yes, it's good on copper but you probably don't need to go to the higher levels of polish.

Everything polished goes through the ultrasonic if possible, then rinsed & dried. I've contemplated a sawdust drier, but haven't as yet got around to it.

Thanks so much for the replies, wish I had seen the latter ones before I went and ordered the Luxi, finding it a bit odd to get used to after a long time of using tripoli and rouge. However as I have just bought that and new polishing mops, I will need to stick with it for a while, maybe it is just a bit of time to adjust.

Enigma, I have always washed pieces afterwards and never had problems with watermarks (though didn't realize good old washing up liquid was find, always used something a bit gentler) but no, always just dabbed them dry and then gone over with the polishing cloth and no watermarks.

It looks like I will need to invest in an ultrasonic cleaner. Can I just ask, does the Menzerna produce less dust than the traditional compounds as that is one thing that Luxi seems better on and definitely something that is a bonus?