Thread: Truely flat cutters

Default Truely flat cutters

Hello,

I am currently making and remaking and remaking !! a set of 7 stone cluster rings.

One thing that gets my goat, is when I snip the silver wire, to make the prongs and keep getting an angled/downward cut as I cut the wire....re-finishing the ends back to flat is getting rather annoying.

So my question is, are there any side/top cutters that I can buy that give a completely flat cut as I snip wire ?

Thank you

Both my cutters cut flat - but leave a little 'pinch' in the middle. The angled cut is only evident on the off-cut / waste side of the wire.
    I've not got good enough light, nor a macro lens at hand - or I'd take a photo for you.
    Sally

I often pierce mine but in any case I always finish off with a cup burr so the initial cut doesn't matter.

Thanks for the quick replies, I really need to get ahold of some flat cutting cutters soon though.

When you say pierce wire....what do you mean by that ? Sorry if that seems a dense question but I've never heard of piercing a piece of wire. And surely, if I am understanding your cup burring, this would take just as long as filing the pointed ends flat ?

As for the little pinch in the middle, yes thats what I get, its as best as I can describe a sort of , if you like arrow/shield peak that I have to file flat.

Its just I remember seeing some cutters that were called flush cutters , that gave a completely flat/flush cut across the wire, but I lost the webpage link. I think these cutters were around £18 , which seemed a bit steep when I was only using them once a week or so, but as I am going to be making a batch of cluster rings and earrings/stems, I think that £18 now seems a bargin, especially when as I have done quite a few times recently, slipped and removed tiny slithers from my fingertips...at this rate, I could jack it in, go and steal diamond rings from shops at night and not get caught , as I'd have no fingerprints left on my fingers to leave

I'm with Sarah, but if you want the best flush cutters, which on their flat edge leave only a tiny raised area that's very easy to remove, you either need Lindstrom ultra flush (which are not as good as they used to be since they moved production) or Tronex Razor cutters (the numeric code needs to end in a 3) - like these - http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...y=tronex+razor

There will still be a definite 'v' on the waste side, so it's worth trimming this off before making the next cut from the same piece of wire.

Grind your cutters on the flat side until they are truly flat then polish until very smooth, on the lower end items you may need to grind the bevel slightly as well

By piercing I mean to cut with the piercing saw, generally I do that then finish with the cup burr which is really quick and leaves a neat rounded claw- of course thats not much good if you don't want rounded claws though.
    These are some I did with cup burrs:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sueopalearrings3.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	10874
    These are the cup burrs:
    http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...uery=cup+burrs

Lindstrom cutters used to be amazing, my friend has been using them for years in her wiring job and they stay sharp forever, rather disappointing to hear their quality has deteriorated too now as Ive had them on my wishlist ever since using hers.

Taking into account all of the above I do not believe you can can beat a high quality flat file to produce a nice flat square end on a piece of wire or many other items

I think as you say, its either cut with a piercing saw or just snip and file flat. Thanks for your help..I will try to find that old link I had though, because the photo showed a clean straight cut but you , if I remember right, had to give the ends a gentle bend back to make the wire straight again

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    By piercing I mean to cut with the piercing saw, generally I do that then finish with the cup burr which is really quick and leaves a neat rounded claw- of course thats not much good if you don't want rounded claws though.
    These are some I did with cup burrs:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sueopalearrings3.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	10874
    These are the cup burrs:
    http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...uery=cup+burrs

Lindstrom cutters used to be amazing, my friend has been using them for years in her wiring job and they stay sharp forever, rather disappointing to hear their quality has deteriorated too now as Ive had them on my wishlist ever since using hers.
    Ive had a pair of these and they didnt wow me at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk