Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanding differant metals

Default Sanding differant metals

Just been sanding some aliminium hearts with the sandpapers and files i usually use on my copper, brass and silver items. Is this a mistake, should i have separate tools for certain metals? Also how much of a health risk is sanding aliminium. I do it by hand rather than machine.

Not to worry. Copper and brass filings do not seem to cause problems with silver, provided you keep your work surface brushed down, and any metal clogging your files removed by running the edge of a piece of copper across them.

Sand paper can be discarded when you change over. Pickle will do for all three.

Aluminium is a different matter, because its filings look just like silver, and having a low melting point, can melt into other metals and cause blemishes.

If you do a lot and are worried about dust inhalation, dust masks are readily availble online and from ironmonger/paint shops. Dennis.

Thanks dennis, will put some sandpaper and a file aside just for aluminium.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post

If you do a lot and are worried about dust inhalation, dust masks are readily availble online and from ironmonger/paint shops. Dennis.
    To add to what Dennis has said, dust masks are a good idea if you are producing a lot of dust via sanding. Sanding my hand shouldn't kick the dust up into the air as much as by using power tools but a lot of inert metals can cause problems down the line. I know stainless & nickel alloys can so I'm assuming that gold would do the same. I have been told that one of the issues is that because they are inert they do not break down once in the lungs and can embed themselves permanently.

Personally I have not had much success with disposable masks - they just don't seem to fit my face well and are expensive for decent quality ones. If you're serious about dust masks then look into respirator masks. Here's a link to the one I bought which was cheaper than a box of 10 disposable dust masks and has so far outlasted them too. The only issue is condensation on the inside when working in the cold. https://www.screwfix.com/p/gvs-elips...rator-p3/6922g

Re dust masks this is one of if not the best on the market, not including respirators http://www.dustbeegone.com/dustmask.html

Thanks SICustomDesigns and China, I have have some really cheap disposable dust masks but they fit badly as I have a narrow face and they steam up my glasses so I'm reluctant to use them. China that mask sounds good. I wonder if it's washable I have a bad house dust allergy so everything has to be washed eventually. My mum uses a silk mask to sort the washing and dusting (due to same allergy) maybe they're as good as those disposable ones.

Hi Sheen, yes the mask is washable, it is recommended that you wash it regularly if you treat it well it will last at least a couple of years, I can't comment how much longer I have had one just over two years
    I use it for my wood work

Those masks you posted do look pretty good China. I like my respirator but it does mean that your glasses have to sit a little higher so I may look into one of these once my filter needs replacing.

I'm definitely going to order one of those , thanks for the link China. Get so fed up with the disposable masks slipping off and glasses misting .

I'm considering going full face mask or integrated mask. They seem to solve the problem of glasses misting. You can read the various reviews.

I am thinking of buying this mask: http://www.screwfix.com/p/jsp-filter...ack-fmp2/36021