Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a bezel setting punch

Default Making a bezel setting punch

If I were to make a bezel setting punch from a steel nail punch, would I be able to cut off the tip (with a cutting wheel) drill and burr it using my generic flex-shaft (high speed, low torque)?
    I've read all the instructions and watched all the YouTube and that's the one question I still have.

I presume that you are talking about grindinding off the hollow end and giving it a flatter shape?
    Ideally you would use the grinding wheel of a bench grinder, which could also be used to shape it.

However, you might consider a piece of 5mm round brass rod (found on line), which is more easily shaped by sawing, hammering and filing, and will be much kinder to your bezels when used.

Whats over can be used for a bezel pusher, mounted in a handle. Dennis.

No, I'm thinking about making a bezel punch/rounding tool from a steel nail punch, to run around a tube setting (I know I need to be able to set a stone in a tube setting by using just a burnisher but I'd like to have a go at making a punch. Just to try it).

A jewellers saw will happily cut a nail. As I've mentioned elsewhere on here, I use 2/0 & 4/0 blades on 5mm steel (and wrought iron now too).
    I prefer hardened steels for punches and nails - unless they're concrete nails, which won't cut readily with a saw - tend to be mild steel.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    A jewellers saw will happily cut a nail. As I've mentioned elsewhere on here, I use 2/0 & 4/0 blades on 5mm steel (and wrought iron now too).
    I prefer hardened steels for punches and nails - unless they're concrete nails, which won't cut readily with a saw - tend to be mild steel.
    Thank you, I'll bear that in mind.

From your reply, I thought maybe you meant one of these, below. A link to the video you were following would be helpful. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Collet Closing Set.jpg  

I use silver steel rods to make my punches, this company sells 13 inch lengths of most diameters a quite a cheap price, good for making punches or for use shaping jump rings. The benefit of using silver steel is that it can be hardened and tempered easily using a gas soldering torch, see; https://www.ekpsupplies.com/silversteel.html

James

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    From your reply, I thought maybe you meant one of these, below. A link to the video you were following would be helpful. Dennis.
    This is what I'm hankering to make Dennis http://hansmeevis.blogspot.co.uk/201...tones.html?m=1

I've got a nail punch as shown here Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180124_175853.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	10871 and I guess now all I have to do is get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I use silver steel rods to make my punches, this company sells 13 inch lengths of most diameters a quite a cheap price, good for making punches or for use shaping jump rings. The benefit of using silver steel is that it can be hardened and tempered easily using a gas soldering torch, see; https://www.ekpsupplies.com/silversteel.html

James
    Thank you James, I'll take a look at buying some steel rod sometime, but for the moment I'm on a self-employed mission to only use what I have to hand for the next two months.

Quote Originally Posted by misspond View Post
    This is what I'm hankering to make Dennis http://hansmeevis.blogspot.co.uk/201...tones.html?m=1

I've got a nail punch as shown here Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180124_175853.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	10871 and I guess now all I have to do is get on with it.
    Yes you will note that this is what the items in my set will do, but I am averse to hammers, so I only use then with their handle, by wriggling and turning, to improve the roundness of the finish.

You will note from the tutorial, that after heating to orange the punches are soft enough to work with burrs and saw blades.

He also finishes by saying that he only uses this methot where the stones can easily be replaced. Dennis.