Thread: Sampler pendant

Default Sampler pendant

As I only get two weekends a month where I can really sink my teeth into a project this last weekend I had planned to make a pendant that used a few different techniques, that expanded on a look I like and have played with before and that ultimately I'd be happy to wear.

So I made a large ring, soldered and shaped it, etched part of it (along with a piece of tube) and then made three components. A bezel set abalone bead (which I had to make less high and with the corners rounded off), a reticulated strip, and then a nugget that was going to be flush set with another element hanging from it. I made the beads by sawing the tube into four and then flared the ends.

The small glass stone (taken from an old broken costume necklace I couldn't quite get rid of) isn't properly set but it's a start. In fact everything needs a bit of refining but that's par for the course! I did the soldering with teeny pieces of solder, cleaned everything up, sawed through the ring, added all of the elements including a bail made from scrap from the reticulated strip, soldered it back together and cleaned up. Stones were set and polishing done. Because the flush set stone was clear I added a drop of green alcohol ink to give it a (temporary) colour.

I'm considering a bit of liver of sulphur/coffee/ ammonia mix to add a streak of colour to some areas to bring out the etching a little, and add visual balance.

I'm pretty pleased with the result and already planning how I can make a similar but different piece.

Photos show the pendant made with weekend plus the one I made last summer that was my starting point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180120_201501.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	10859

Name:	FB_IMG_1516481704291.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	10858

Well done, it must be frustrating to have so little time to develop your hobby. I presume the intreaguing purple colour is a reflection form some object nearby?
    Dennis.

Yes, well it was frustrating but I've come to terms now. I can spend a couple of weeks visualising and planning and then I get a day to play.
    The purple is entirely natural, hence my using it. The other beads that were strung with this one have gorgeous blue/green flashes, this was the only purple one. My other photos were much more grey.

Name:	IMG_20180120_201547.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	10867

Name:	IMG_20180120_200718.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	10868

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Thats pretty, I like the texturing on the metals
    Thank you. I'm not there yet but I'm on the long road to making what I can see in my mind's eye.

Interesting you say you are not there yet, most people looking at these pieces would never know you are not completely happy with the result,
    if these were for sale you would have no trouble at all selling them, you clearly have all the creativity you need.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Interesting you say you are not there yet, most people looking at these pieces would never know you are not completely happy with the result,
    if these were for sale you would have no trouble at all selling them, you clearly have all the creativity you need.
    That's a very kind and encouraging thing to say, thank you.