Thread: hydraulic gauge

Default hydraulic gauge

Hi all,

Can I pick your brains please regarding hydraulic presses. I really, really, want one! My issue is one of cost, and it seems the really expensive bit is to have a pump with a gauge. So, if there is anyone out there who has experience, I'd love to hear from you regarding the pros and cons of with and without a gauge.

I thought I would need one with a gauge in order to produce items with two sides to be soldered together and that would match up and be pressed to the same degree, and also for repeating identical items - my experience of press forming is only with an old vulcanising press at my weekly class, that no longer works as a vulcanising press, but we are able to use its 'muscle' to press items with, so its good but a bit hit and miss. But, back to the question - to go for a gauge - or to do without a gauge, what do you guys think?

I was in the same position when I built my press it was considerably more expensive to add a gauge, so I do not have a gauge, you can fix a ruler to your press and make a mark on the the platen, if you use the same metal and the same urethane this will give
    fairly repeatable results, I have seen varying results even on a press ( expensive) that has a gauge.

Agreed. I have a twenty ton pres, but quickly became sensitive to the pressure exerted: light, medium, full.
    I dont think a gauge would do better.

As Bob, says. you can fix a small ruler to your upright to give some visual indication. The degree of doming can be monitored with callipers.

More to the point is lots of annealing, so that your metal does not tear on the way. Dennis.

Thank you so much both of you, for your responses. It seems from what you say, that a gauge is a very expensive luxury, that is not really required - which is great news, as there will be a big difference in price, so I can put some money towards a rolling mill too, which I also really, really want. Hooray! I think you may have saved me quite a lot of money.
    Thanks so much guys.
    Sue