Thread: Can you stop Copper Tarnishing?

Default Can you stop Copper Tarnishing?

Hi,

Sorry for asking lots of questions, this is a new metal to me. I have had a years break from making, working with silver before and stopped after going through chemo trying to work at the same time, making mistakes and losing my confidence. So going in a different direction trying to build up my confidence again doing something different.

I am not back to full thinking capacity yet and had not considered the tarnishing over time until Dennis mentioned it on my other thread, other than them being wiped over with a polishing cloth, but am not familiar with copper and maybe that won't be enough. Is there anyway of coating them with something that won't affect how they look that will prevent them tarnishing?

These are more ornamental pieces so not something that will be handled much but not something that can be just chucked in solution either as there is other materials (wood) involved.

Thanks.

Some thing like this http://www.whiteknightpaints.com.au/...at/clear-guard if not available in the UK I'm sure there will be some equivalent
    much more complicated is clear enamel by that I mean torch or kiln fired.

Yes an aerosol of polyurethane laquer, or clear cellulose laquer(as used on cars) work well if you read the instructions on the tin.
    Not good to breathe in though, so best done outdoors.

Thanks, I will give the spray a go