Thread: Propane Regulator for Smiths Little Torch

Default Propane Regulator for Smiths Little Torch

Hi all - firstly I am very sorry for asking what I suspect is a well worn question but I just simply cannot find a definitive answer on forums or elsewhere on the interweb despite weeks of looking.

So I am just switching to a Smiths Little Torch on a Oxy Con and Propane cylinder system. I got the Oxy Con from Tuffnell's with the Smiths connector on it so that is all good. For the propane cylinder, originally I thought I needed a low pressure regulator so got the Silverline one in picture 4 but the connection (the little one) looked wrong as I had a screw connector from my arrestor. So I bought a high pressure 0.5 - 4 bar one but today when looking into what pressure I should set it on I started to panic and think that I'd got the wrong one as the Smiths little torch needs a low pressure regulator. So I'm thoroughly confused and won't proceed until I'm confident I have the correct set up.

So can anyone tell me which regulator I need for the Smiths Lt Torch. If it's the low pressure how can I fit the flashback arrestor on it (as per the picture) and if the high one which setting should the regulator be set on!!

Thanks so much in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180120_152802_resized.jpg   20180120_152812_resized.jpg   20180120_152817_resized.jpg   20180120_152844_resized.jpg  

Since you asked I've been doing a little research because I might one day buy a Smiths Little Torch.

I downloaded the SLT manual and it provides the pressures required for the tips you use but unfortunately all the pressures are given in kPa (Kilopascals)!

I then searched Youtube and the most helpful video was from an American and he was using PSI, he says 5 PSI is all you need and that translates to 0.35 BAR, there are online conversion calculators for PSI to BAR and kPa to BAR.

The impression I get is that it requires very little pressure to run the SLT. If it were me, I'd use the adjustable regulator with the flashback arrestor and start by setting it at 0.5 Bar. Apparently (from the second video) there is an enclosed sheet that lists the pressures for each tip. I'd use that as a guide and convert those figures to BAR using an online calculator. Once again, I think you ought to start low, see how the torch performs, then move up by one increment if it seems under powered.

Lot's of people use the SLT, I'm surprised you haven't found an answer.

This video is from a UK jeweller: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiPG-PS_Do8
    Last edited by handmadeblanks; 21-01-2018 at 03:44 AM.

Hi Suzie.

In the same situation like you. Did you manage to find a propane regulator to work with the torch?
    I am living in Sweden and it is almost impossible to find one.

thanks
    AM

I made a video of my setup it works ok. I would use the one with the scew fittings.I cant find any specs on the regulator but I just turn it up till it works consistantly which is pretty much as low as I can get it. Then control the flow with my torch knobs, if you have the propane to high the torch will blow its self out just use very small adjustments on the torch until you get a feel for it then add the oxygen again if you get it to high it will blow itself out. I had a problem with my oycon where it was randomly generating and tuffnells were really good sorting it out for me . Also when you start the torch in a well vented area open the oxy knob on the torch and let a bit of the gas flow a few seconds the first bit it seems to generate is not so good on mine. this is what I found your experience may vary
    Last edited by josef1; 23-11-2019 at 01:21 PM.