Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please can we have a thanks button ?

Default Please can we have a thanks button ?

I have use other forums and they have a 'thanks' button and think its a great idea. I have read loads of on this forum where I think it would be nice to acknowledge what has been posted. I also think if your posting information its nice to get a bit of positive feedback and it encourages you to post more. I know people will reply saying thanks which is brilliant but not everyone likes to reply. Im sure you can add it to this type of forum we just need to get Cooksons on board !! What do others think is it worth doing or is there a reason why we don't have it ?

Is it an add-on on 3D CAD or is it a built-in to vBulletin?

Doesn't bother me either way, I am on woodwork forum in Australia that has these features and it uses vBulletin

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Is it an add-on on 3D CAD or is it a built-in to vBulletin?
    I will have a look tonight

Please could we not. Because the next thing will be a 'like' button, and then we'll all start just start talking about ourselves rather than to each other, and then we might just as as well be on Facebook. It takes seconds to say 'thank you', or more, in a post, and often the subsequent questions (and their answers) can be even more helpful than the first.

I know I'm a bit of a dinosaur on this subject, but one of the best things about the forum format is that it encourages real conversation rather than just button clicking and smiley faces, and for so many of us that work in what is essentially a pretty solitary environment, it's almost like having colleagues around when we want them.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Please could we not. Because the next thing will be a 'like' button, and then we'll all start just start talking about ourselves rather than to each other, and then we might just as as well be on Facebook. It takes seconds to say 'thank you', or more, in a post, and often the subsequent questions (and their answers) can be even more helpful than the first.

I know I'm a bit of a dinosaur on this subject, but one of the best things about the forum format is that it encourages real conversation rather than just button clicking and smiley faces, and for so many of us that work in what is essentially a pretty solitary environment, it's almost like having colleagues around when we want them.
    Hi, I don't like to disagree with you, but I disagree to some degree.

I think it is good if the OP writes a thank you, but having a 'like' or 'thank you' button allows other readers to say thanks without adding clutter to a thread. IMHO, there is nothing worse than seeing a large number of replies to a thread thinking an interesting debate is going on only to find out that the majority of them are nothing more than thanks.

Also, it allows saying 'thanks' to many people in a thread, without adding clutter.

Finally, it avoids the situation where you write a general thanks to everyone who replied and then someone else adds something useful. They either get a personalised thanks or get ignored.

I vote in favour of a 'Thanks' or "Like" option.

I'm with you George. Fb is a necessary evil for me as it links to the Open Studio. I detest the like button especially when you send your close friends best wishes and they can't even be bothered to do more than like. It's lazy and contributes to people being unable to communicate with one another unless it's in 3 word sentences, is that even a sentence?
    There have been occasions that I wanted a like button here because I agreed with something someone had advised, now I just add my agreement or keep quiet

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I'm with you George. Fb is a necessary evil for me as it links to the Open Studio. I detest the like button especially when you send your close friends best wishes and they can't even be bothered to do more than like. It's lazy and contributes to people being unable to communicate with one another unless it's in 3 word sentences, is that even a sentence?
    There have been occasions that I wanted a like button here because I agreed with something someone had advised, now I just add my agreement or keep quiet
    Not sure why you consider keeping quiet preferable to clicking a like or thank you button? I thought the argument is a 'like' button discourages discourse but you are making a choice to engage or not even without the option.

If you 'liked' someones post it would add credibility to it. Staying quiet makes it impossible to gauge how you feel about it. Same applies to other respected posters like Dennis, Goldsmith and Enigma to name a few.

Thanks for the compliment handmadeblanks although I certainly don't feel I am worthy of being put in the same category as Dennis and James

As per the discussion, I think I agree with George , I don't know whether it would add or take away anything but I do find it a bit sad if people can't just write a thank you and need a button for it LOL
    Certainly its true that it can open up more conversation though when somebody posts to say thank you for information given.
    Its probably been noticed that people not saying thank you for information freely and generously given is a bit of a bugbear of mine

Quote Originally Posted by handmadeblanks View Post
    Not sure why you consider keeping quiet preferable to clicking a like or thank you button? I thought the argument is a 'like' button discourages discourse but you are making a choice to engage or not even without the option.

If you 'liked' someones post it would add credibility to it. Staying quiet makes it impossible to gauge how you feel about it. Same applies to other respected posters like Dennis, Goldsmith and Enigma to name a few.
    Sometimes sadly I just don't have the energy to reply in full. I often agree with someone but sometimes I have felt in that moment I wished there was a like button, it doesn't mean I want one because as I said I think it's a lazy option and my biggest Fb hate. I also think there is little point in just saying I agree, I don't that's enough letter for a post to be accepted, it then means that you have to repeat what the person you're agreeing with has already said. If say Dennis has said something and there is no further post then it suggests to methere is nothing to be added not that there is no interest in the post.
    Last edited by CJ57; 18-01-2018 at 03:14 PM.