Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please can we have a thanks button ?

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Thanks for the compliment handmadeblanks although I certainly don't feel I am worthy of being put in the same category as Dennis and James

As per the discussion, I think I agree with George , I don't know whether it would add or take away anything but I do find it a bit sad if people can't just write a thank you and need a button for it LOL
    Certainly its true that it can open up more conversation though when somebody posts to say thank you for information given.
    Its probably been noticed that people not saying thank you for information freely and generously given is a bit of a bugbear of mine
    There is the added point to that if someone takes the bother to say thank you and explain why it was useful then that's also of use to anyone offering advice. It wouldn't be the first time recently that we've been told we just don't understand the question!

I get the feeling a thanks button is not a popular idea!! It was only a thought I was talking to another member and the subject came up it. Sometimes people post things and dont get anything back, which leaves them wondering is it relevant, should I bother ,am I wasting my time . I just thought it was a way of encouraging more people to get involved thats all.

Thats a fair point Josef and I often wonder why there is so little participation, maybe Im missing all the excitement over on FB or something lol

I understand josef’s point, and it’s good to come up with ideas to widen participation, but for me the ‘like’ is part of the white noise that I dislike so much on fb.
    I think there is certainly evidence of much more in depth and detailed answers to questions on this forum than on fb. I’d hate to loose all the invaluable advice, help and huge depth of knowledge that the wonderful folk on this forum so generously provide. If the forum became more like a fb page, then how long before it actually became a fb page? Along with the loss of all that support and info. I think fb is having a moment with people, but ultimately its all about instant responses, that can often add nothing or be completely off topic.
    Talking of off topic, my kids (both in their 20s) have mostly deserted fb -along with their friends, and moved on to snapchat instead.
    Also, no matter whether it’s real or not, I feel a certain familiarity with regulars on this forum, which you just wouldn’t get from fb likes.

Not Facebook, but here is part of an email from EBay, which shows the depths which online responses can plumb:

'How did you like your tapwashers pack of three?'

Could I reply that I haven't slept or eaten since they arrived and I intend to spend the rest of my life with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Not Facebook, but here is part of an email from EBay, which shows the depths which online responses can plumb:

'How did you like your tapwashers pack of three?'

Could I reply that I haven't slept or eaten since they arrived and I intend to spend the rest of my life with them?
    I feel the same way about the eye drops I bought from Amazon, how do you rate them stars one to five. They are eye drops for heavens sake! There wasn't really anything of use to describe the alum powder.

This is my final 2¢ on the subject.

So far, most of the replies appear to revolve around: Cooksongold Forum Vs Facebook.

I hate Facebook and don't use it. I do however use other forums and I don't see any evidence whatsoever that 'Like' buttons have impacted negatively on discussions. There is plenty of lively discussion, everyday, continuously, much more than here.

Hi handmadeblanks
    Just wondering if you have any views on what it is about the other forums you use, that is making them more active than this one currently is, and if you think there is anything else we could do on here to reinvigorate it, I dont think any of us would object to anything that would help, including like button.

Haha Dennis, yes you should write that

I think FB is for arguing on isn't it?
    My son is 18 and neither he nor any of his friends use it either so its likely social media will keep evolving I guess.

Yes , please do share any tips you can think of, Handmadeblanks, it would definitely be nice to have a more lively forum.

I said above that is does not bother me either way and is true, however I have never used either the thanks buttons or the like buttons i think it must be a generational thing,
    I was at 50th birthday party some time ago two about 15 years old girls were sitting next to each other and you guessed it they were texting each other