Thread: caddy spoon

Default caddy spoon

New Year's resolution - I will definitely be making a spoon. Have been thinking about it for ages now and feel suitably inspired to make a start. One question tho' - what would be an ideal thickness for the bowl? I thought of starting with 1mm because I am going to hammer it and want the marks to remain. Can't wait....

Obviously one approach is to form the bowl and the handle separately and then solder them together. This makes it more predictable for first time effort.

When I was set a spoon forging project, which requires a stake and a raising hammer, I soon ran out of metal. the result was just two small measuring spoons, wich are still in the kitchen drawer.

I would experiment with copper first, but depending on the spoon you are aiming for, I would use one of the heavier rectangular wires, something like 7.0x2.5 or more. Dennis.

I think I use 1.2 for the bowl and I've used both round and square wires for the stems. I preferred the square. I did make a caddy spoon bowl possibly 1.5 because I wanted it to be substantial and then I ended up cutting it in half and making a pendant!
    Anyway you know what my spoons look like Theresa, I'll take a measurement but I may have polished away quite a lot of firestain on the last lot:/

You'll enjoy it. The first 4 were so easy I wondered why I'd never made them and then the next 4 just seemed so problematic I couldn't even seem to remember how I made the first ones!
    Last edited by CJ57; 18-01-2018 at 05:08 PM.

Thank you Caroline and Dennis. I intend to cut the bowl and handle as one out of sheet and then form it, I will keep you posted of my efforts! It's going to be a caddy spoon with or without cabochons - haven't decided yet. I like to make things on the hoof and see where serendipity takes me.

Good to hear you are doing it the traditional way which won't be wasteful for a caddy spoon but impossible for my long handled ones. Look forward to seeing it the finished spoon Theresa