Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling at a Craft Fair?

Question Selling at a Craft Fair?

I would like to try selling at a Craft Fair and I am hoping that anyone who has experience at doing this would be kind enough to answer some questions I have so I don't make a fool of myself. It would be a $10 table at a local fair held in a community centre.

1) Would I look ridiculous unless I have a table stacked/covered with items to sell?

2) I will be on my own, so what do I do if I need to leave the table i.e. for a Toilet break?

3) I am not a registered Hallmark holder and no item I have needs Hallmarking. Do I still need to display the dealer notice? I suspect the answer is 'Yes'.

4) I am only planning on selling for cash. Is this OK? How can I offer other methods of payment? I have no intention of moving into the smartphone era yet.

5) What would be an average price range for jewellery items at a craft fair?

Can you offer any tips, advice, words of wisdom for a complete novice?

Thanks in advance!

I've no experience of it myself, but maybe this will make a start: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ad...MezCgAbogo6gBQ Dennis.

Hi Handmade blanks.

You don't need too much on the table - it will be hard to see and take ages to pack away. Get a nice clean cloth though and make sure it is straight BEFORE you lay out your wares. Keep some things back to fill gaps when you sell something. My first market was a school craft fair - only sold 3 items - but it was good experience and enabled me to try my stall layout. Take something you can make if things are slow - it will interest passers by and stop you feeling like a lemon. I usually do a little wirework.

Make friends with the neighbouring stall holders or ask a friend to drop in and man the stall for you so you can go for a toilet break - or drink nothing, though this is hard. Sometimes the organiser will look after it for you if you ask.

Yes you need to display the dealer notice if you are describing items as sterling silver even if everything is underweight. Unlikely to be checked but best to get into good habits.

Only taking cash for expensive jewellery items can put off buyers - they go to the cashpoint and never return. Keep prices rounded to save you needing lots of small change. I have an IZettle which works off my phone for card payments and I love it. There are other card readers and Paypal.

Average price is difficult and depends on the type of event. I don't make rings but other stall holders sell them £10-£20. Unless they have got to know you from regular markets I think keep things under £50, and have lots in the £10-£30 range. I usually have some little kiddies bracelets for pocket money - they often pay my table fee. Have one aspirational piece to show off your skills but which might be too expensive for most people.

In addition - take a snack, water, scissors, sellotape, pen, notebook, hankies, business cards, money bag, packaging, a couple of spare chains, polishing cloth, props for height. I got some really nice cardboard suitcases from TKMaxx - they give height and are light to carry plus you can pack things away in them.

Don't get disheartened if you don't sell anything - it just isn't the right venue for you, and it is January!. On the other hand I hope it goes really well. Ux

@Dennis: Thanks for the link

@Snorkmaiden: Thanks for the detailed and very encouraging reply, I appreciate it. The craft fair is a monthly one and I am thinking of attending the one in February. I am still in two minds about it, but you have certainly eased my concerns.

Tell us how you get on. I've made some lovely friends from my fellow stall holders, especially when the customers didn't turn up. Ux

Hi. I sell at fairs tho my stuff isnt silver. I made a box with drawers in that has all my stuff in: pens pins tape ring sizer iZettle bags labels little props tools etc. I turn it round so i can access the draws from the back of the table. I also have cardboard shelves and all my items are ready to go on little stamped cards. I just take all money and valuables with me to the loo and take my chance! All my stuff is in clipit boxes and bags ready to go for the next fair. I dont do many but peace of mind. Il see if i can post a pic x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About eight years ago I posted this here. perhaps it is relevant now:

The Market Trader.

One day while walking through our local market I heard a voice: ‘Excuse me!’ It was a lady with a little stall, well just a trestle table, behind which she sat. On it were a few items of second hand jewellery. I hate these, because I immediately think of the people who once owned them, maybe now long dead.

‘Excuse me,’ she said, ‘but I’m dying to go to the loo, would you look after my stall for ten minutes?’ Well what could I say? I was not in a hurry so I agreed and sat on the little stool.

People passed by with never a glance and after a while the lady returned with a contented smile. I had not been arrested for illegal trading.

She is still there sometimes, but she does not recognise me now. Dennis.

I'm very new to all this and not got as far as craft fairs yet, though I have been to lots as a customer.
    I would say definitely have some nice business cards or a small flyer that people can take even if they don't buy anything at the time - if you're intending to do this as a regular thing rather than one off then you'll want people to remember you. They might well chuck it in the bin when they get home, but they'll look at it first and its a little reminder that helps lock it into long-term memory or prompts them to look up your website, start following your blog etc. Then later when it comes time for birthday and christmas presents when they might be more inclined to make a purchase or spend on something higher value they'll already be thinking of you and looking out for your stall at the fairs.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by handmadeblanks View Post
    I would like to try selling at a Craft Fair and I am hoping that anyone who has experience at doing this would be kind enough to answer some questions I have so I don't make a fool of myself. It would be a $10 table at a local fair held in a community centre.

1) Would I look ridiculous unless I have a table stacked/covered with items to sell?

2) I will be on my own, so what do I do if I need to leave the table i.e. for a Toilet break?

3) I am not a registered Hallmark holder and no item I have needs Hallmarking. Do I still need to display the dealer notice? I suspect the answer is 'Yes'.

4) I am only planning on selling for cash. Is this OK? How can I offer other methods of payment? I have no intention of moving into the smartphone era yet.

5) What would be an average price range for jewellery items at a craft fair?

Can you offer any tips, advice, words of wisdom for a complete novice?

Thanks in advance!
    Hi Handmadeblanks, I haven't been able to log on for a few months. Tell us how you got on at the craft fair. Ux

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkmaiden View Post
    Hi Handmadeblanks, I haven't been able to log on for a few months. Tell us how you got on at the craft fair. Ux
    Hi Snorkmaiden, thanks for your interest!

I was reluctant to update this thread because I felt it would be a disappointment after getting such helpful input.

I was still umming and ahing about doing a Craft Fair when not long after starting this thread I finally made a sale on eBay (YAY!) and got positive feedback (YAY!). I have since sold a total of 5 items on eBay (YAY!) which is almost everything I had listed, and got another two positive feedback’s (YAY!)

So I am now focussing on selling on eBay and have put Craft Fairs on the back-burner for now, although I would still like to try a Craft Fair one day.