Thread: Wax solvent before casting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Wax solvent before casting

Hi everyone, I'm busy working on a new batch of wax pieces to be cast. I just had a question, I've read some info online that using a wax solvent can help smooth the wax prior to casting. I've been searching the Internet trying to find a wax solvent but don't find any at any of the usual wax suppliers (including Cookson.)
    It seems no matter how often I take a brush to my wax somehow those little flakes and specks of excess wax appear from nowhere.
    Is there anything that could work that I might already have around the house? I have tried holding the piece above a flame to melt the tiny bits, and it does work but it makes me a little nervous! My fringe got a little too close to the flame today and needless to say I'm not real keen on pressing my luck with the fire......

Also while I'm on the subject, I'm looking for a place in the UK that has a larger selection of wax to purchase, specifically I'm looking for sticky wax, perfect purple and water soluble wax.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Have you tried lighter fluid?

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Have you tried lighter fluid?
    I haven't - is that what people use?

Yes it is recommended, applied sparingly with a cotton bud, or cotton wool wrapped around the ends of tweezers to form a ball.
    You can also use acetone, which is more aggressive and comes in small bottles from Boots.
    Lastlly try a ball of cotton wool tightly wrapped around the ends of tweezers, dipped in water and briefly heated in your flame until it begins to steam.

Here is your sticky wax too:http://www.kemdent.co.uk/sticky-wax-...94jp5hei8ab2n5 Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis; 14-01-2018 at 10:55 PM.

That's lovely thank you!! I'm finding it hard to find much info on lost wax casting, seems to be mostly trial and error but that's the story of my life