Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soldering non precious metal?

Default Soldering non precious metal?

Hi all
    I'm just getting into the silver working with a torch but would also like to work with non silver, cosmetic jewellery, base metal? I don't know what to call it and can't find any info, but ...
    I like to keep my prices down at my fairs and so would like to use a silver coloured metal that's easy to solder that isn't silver. Just little projects like soldering an earring post, bails or jump rings etc?.. either sheet or wire... I've seen nickel sheet but that isn't good is it!?!
    thanks
    Mandy x

The real problem with using base metals for piercings, including ears, is that some people quicly become sensitive to them and develop weeping sores.
    Once sensitive it is with you for life, and even touching those metals can give you a tingle.

Siver wire is not all that expensive, paticularly for little things as you sdescribe. Dennis.

Ive always given the option of st silver earwires but hardly ever get taken up on it. Id still love to know what base metals are easy to play with to solder to etc... i want to make bigger things that arent expensive to buy. My customers like my prices and i want the option of silver and based. I love the fact im having a play with silver but then the price goes up.
    Id like the option of both if anyone knows...? I make tiaras aswell but wouldnt dream of using sterling. Just as an example.
    Thanks

I'm with Dennis I wouldn't dream of using a base metal for ears, it wasn't even an option when being taught. The cost of silver wire is minimal or if you aren't soldering at least silver plated is safer. Costume jewellery is usually plated silver or gold but these are all added costs if you are making by hand.
    Do you have public liability insurance for fairs just in case there is a problem?

Ok, the ear part isn't a problem at all. I just do this as a hobby and sell to friends who keep coming to me to buy the things I make. I tell them it's not silver, they can have silver pierce wires but they don't want it! That isn't what I want to make either, that was just an example (I've been asked specifically if I could do an earring for my cousin but not silver) what do I do?
    Anyway, my daughter makes little trinkets for friends and we make backs and bails, I'd like to be able to solder a little bail on for example. I'm not prepared to buy real silver for her to give away. I might not be explaining myself properly. Please forget about the ear piercing thing, that's not my goal, it was example. I'd just like to play about with soldering other metals apart from silver but silver coloured if you understand my meaning.

The only non silver metal I've ever used is copper or base metal. I've never used a silver coloured metal for soldering and can only think of stainless steel or alumium as being silver coloured. Neither any good for want you want to do so unless someone else has any ideas..... you could make bails or jump rings from copper wire but that's all I can suggest

Well, you might like to browse the products at Kernocraft, but if soldering, avoid plated items and aluminium.
    https://www.kernowcraft.com/products/metal/metal-sheet Dennis.

I could be wrong but I don't think you can solder stainless steel either, at least not with standard jewellers torches?
    My husband welds it with a Mig welder but thats not quite what you are after LOL

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    I could be wrong but I don't think you can solder stainless steel either, at least not with standard jewellers torches?
    My husband welds it with a Mig welder but thats not quite what you are after LOL
    That's what I was trying to say, the only silver coloured metals I'm aware but not suitable. I think we are all basically saying that there is no such thing as a non silver , silver coloured metal suitable for soldering

Stainless steel can be hard soldered using industrial "silver solder" I have done this more times than I can remember, I have not attempted this with jewellery grade solder or a jewellers torch
    I have some 3mm staniless wire I will have a go and see what transpires