Thread: Raising silver quality

Default Raising silver quality

Hi all,
    I have quick mathematical question:
    For every gram of 835 silver I think I need to add 1.2 gram pure to raise the quality to 925, could someone please confirm my calculations please?

Many thanks
    Les
    Poor old Les

Hi Les,
    If the low silver has 0.835 of silver per gram and you add 1.200 grammes of pure, then you have 2.035 grams of silver in 2.200 grams of metal, which works out at 925.
    Just out of curiosity, what is 835 ? regards, Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hi Les,
    If the low silver has 0.835 of silver per gram and you add 1.200 grammes of pure, then you have 2.035 grams of silver in 2.200 grams of metal, which works out at 925.
    Just out of curiosity, what is 835 ? regards, Dennis.
    Thanks Dennis,
    I have been given about 500 grams of silverware all with a 835 hallmark, it is literally translated as "second quality or level" tweede gehalte. 835 silver is quite common in cutlery & flatware.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
    Poor old Les

It's a good present, but now youve got to melt it all down. Poor old Les, you need a little apprentice.

Ha, that's actually funny Dennis, I live about 6km from the Goldsmith and Watchmaker school and receive lots of CV's soliciting for work every year at the end of the school year. I do employ someone to come and do my polishing and last year I trained her to recycle so it is normal for us. I must say a lesser grade than 925 does often reticulate better so not all will be upgraded.
    Poor old Les