Thread: Different alloy, different everything?

Question Different alloy, different everything?

I have been working exclusively with sterling silver and would like to make the transition to gold. I understand that you need to use a different crucible/scorifier for different alloys, but does this apply to everything else as well?

So, for each alloy would I need to use different: pickle solution, polishing mops, ingot moulds?

Thanks in advance!

You will get away with your ingot molds if you keep them clean, but pretty much all the other stuff it is wise to have one for each to avoid cross contamination, especially with polishing mops,
    it always pays to have a few spare crucibles anyway they really don't come out on top if you drop one as for pickle there seems to be s difference of opinion some say it does not matter some say it does

You will be delighted to be working with gold, as on the whole it is easy, if you treat it much like silver. An exception, I have fond is 9ct white, which can misbehave and collapse wih hard solder, so I start with medium.

Traditionally charcoal blocks are used, but I have found my ordinary blocks good enough if clean. I have also always used my silver working tools and pickle without problems. Dennis.

@china Thanks for the advice.

@Dennis, I'm glad you say that because I was worried it might be a whole new learning curve. I plan to work with 9ct yellow gold. I'm wondering if I have to take the same precaution as 925 silver in regard to firescale? Thanks.

I also use the same equipment except for casting and haven't had any issues.
    I use Auflux with silver and gold and paint it all over which seems to mostly prevent fire scale.

Quote Originally Posted by handmadeblanks View Post
    I'm wondering if I have to take the same precaution as 925 silver in regard to firescale? Thanks.
    It's an interesting question. Despite the copper content, I have not seen firescale with low carat gold, but apparenly it can happen: http://www.silversmithing.com/1fire.htm . Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 08-01-2018 at 10:33 PM.