Thread: First Engagement Ring Project

Default First Engagement Ring Project

So over the last few weeks I've been making an engagement ring for my sister. No - it's not what you think! Her partner approached me and asked if I would make a ring for him to propose with. This is my first project working with gold in this way but all things considered I think it went fairly well. I was dreading the stone setting but it was actually pretty straight forwards - beginners luck perhaps? What do you guys think?

The ring itself was made from 18 carat white gold and the stone is a pink CZ.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7929.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	10829

Name:	IMG_7910.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	10830

I made a little YouTube video of me making it as well if anyone's interested - please excuse the poor lighting though!

Quote Originally Posted by SICraftDesigns View Post
    So over the last few weeks I've been making an engagement ring for my sister. No - it's not what you think! Her partner approached me and asked if I would make a ring for him to propose with. This is my first project working with gold in this way but all things considered I think it went fairly well. I was dreading the stone setting but it was actually pretty straight forwards - beginners luck perhaps? What do you guys think?

The ring itself was made from 18 carat white gold and the stone is a pink CZ.

Name:	IMG_7929.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	10829

Name:	IMG_7910.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	10830

I made a little YouTube video of me making it as well if anyone's interested - please excuse the poor lighting though!
    That's SO pretty! Well done!!!

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

That's lovely, fabulous job.

Thats a lovely ring and looks very nicely made.
    Im curious as to why anybody would choose a CZ for such a ring though?

I was going to ask the the same question, it is a nice piece,

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Thats a lovely ring and looks very nicely made.
    Im curious as to why anybody would choose a CZ for such a ring though?
    That was partly my decision. I was asked to use a pink stone of which I only found a few different types on cooksons website. I had originally planed to use Tourmaline however was put off by the inclusions mentioned in the description. I had a chat with my sisters partner about it and he was happy to use the pink CZ. I must admit that my knowledge of gemstones is somewhat lacking so if I am asked to work on something using them I usually start by seeing what's available from my current suppliers (of which cooksons is the only one selling gemstones).

There are many other suppliers of quality gemstones, just one for example to keep in mind for your next project
    https://www.wardgemstones.com/stones...maline-aa.html
    Last edited by china; 08-01-2018 at 09:44 AM.

Wards are really good, great range and easy to use website too.
    Personally I would have gone for sapphire if they wanted pink as its the most robust and has some great shades.
    If that was too expensive then probably a Tourmaline

Thank you both for your supplier suggestions. I will certainly bear them in mind for future projects and in hindsight I probably should have done a little more research prior to selecting the stone! Either way, he is happy with it which is the main thing (and knowing my sister she'll lose it or break it in next to no time!).

Wards have some nice pink rubies too. Nice job!