Thread: Soldering gold to silver

Default Soldering gold to silver

Happy new year to you all!
    I made my wife a pair of hooped earrings in 1mm silver 10mm wide. A great success, but now she would like the same again but with a 3mm x .3mm bezel strip of 9ct gold down the centre. I would be most grateful for any special instructions or tips on the soldering? I have done similar with silver bezel on copper for a ring with great success but gold is a new and more expensive step for me!
    Ruedeleglise.

You can solder gold to silver perfectly well with silver solder, using borax or auroflux as many of us prefer.

If I understand what you intend, this seems a good case for sweat soldering, where you melt a few pallions of solder onto the gold, put the two together and reheat.

This will avoid accidental silver blemishes on the top of your gold. Dennis.

Thanks. I recall I used silver solder paste so as to control more easily the amount of solder. Do you think this is ok in this case?

It's whatever you are used to really, but you can get silver running onto the gold, which would be unsightly.

Practice with copper first, to establish which method is best for you. Dennis.

Have ordered the gold bezel, have got the silver sheet. Once here no excuses.....now to try it! Thanks for your advice

Paste will probably work ok, it does tend to flow thinner than solder panels so if some does come onto the gold then unless you have put loads on it will polish off ok.
    I still sometimes use paste because Im a bit lazy like that