Thread: Soldering multi band ring shank technique

Default Soldering multi band ring shank technique

Hello. I'm wondering if you can share your technique for soldering two or more round wire rings bands together for a ring shank.
    I've recently made a double band ring shank using 2mm sterling silver wire. What I did was create each ring separately then solder together-a little tricky. The problem here was that one of the rings was a hair bigger and this shows when looking at the interior of the ring. Would it have been better to solder the wires together flat first and then form the rings to be soldered? Which soldering technique and placement would work best in this situation?

If there are just two or three rings then they can be soldered in the flat and bent later.

Obviously it is better if the wires are all of one size and a drawplate would see to that, if they start off different.

They also need to be staightened by annealing and stretching, all by the same amount.

Lastly to keep them in contact for soldering, I would use a vermiculite board with a few pins stuck in it. Use only a soft bushy flame to make the solder flow gently. The soldered side will be a little more messy, so make sure that is on the inside of the ring.

If soldering multiple rings, say five or more, I would prefer to make them a little undersized, solder them together and strech the finished ring to size on an upright ring stretcher. This evens out any small irregularities. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails r Upright Ring Stretcher.jpg   sr Stacked Ring 1.jpg  

Thank you for that Dennis. I will try soldering on the flat a try and see how much that works for me. I've ale to heard some people sand flat the sides to be soldered, flux one side, warm the flux and then add solder balls around. They would then apply heat to premelt the solder before adding the second ring (in the case of a double ring band) on top and using the flame of the torch till the rings settle and the solder tuns around the seam. I haven't tried this method so I'm not sure how effective it is. If I decide to use separate ring method again I will definitely take your advice and place the solder on the inside. How would you go about doing this- using a third hand holding ring in air?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    If there are just two or three rings then they can be soldered in the flat and bent later.

Obviously it is better if the wires are all of one size and a drawplate would see to that, if they start off different.

They also need to be staightened by annealing and stretching, all by the same amount.

Lastly to keep them in contact for soldering, I would use a vermiculite board with a few pins stuck in it. Use only a soft bushy flame to make the solder flow gently. The soldered side will be a little more messy, so make sure that is on the inside of the ring.

If soldering multiple rings, say five or more, I would prefer to make them a little undersized, solder them together and strech the finished ring to size on an upright ring stretcher. This evens out any small irregularities. Dennis

I love that ring Dennis. My favourite colour. What are the stones?
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by orit View Post
    . How would you go about doing this- using a third hand holding ring in air?
    No, stacked vertically, fluxed and soldered one by one, adding four or five small pallions of solder on the inside with a brush, each time, rather like you described.

Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    I love that ring Dennis. My favourite colour. What are the stones?
    Nick
    Thank you Nick, green tourmaline. In this case, each ring already had a tube collet attached before stacking, so there was no chance of finishing it better. But it was in keeping with the request for a dull greenish ring.

Thanks again. Love your ring.