Thread: Polishing machines and mess!

Default Polishing machines and mess!

Hi all, I've not been here for a ling time, but am finally setting up my hobby as a small business (though I still have much to learn!). I've recently acquired an old jeweller's bench after much searching and so have reorganised my workshop.

My little polishing machine is adequate but I have no dust extraction, and though I do use a face mask to protect myself, I of course end up with scruffy surfaces and equipment.

How do you manage this in your own work space? Do I need to spend lots to resolve it?

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Depends on the type of machine you have if you are using a hand piece then it most often just means you will need to clean up after you are finished, you have a dedicated buffing machine, then enclose the top and sides to prevent dust etc
    traveling where you don't want it, ideal set up would be to have the enclosed area fitted with dust extraction, although you can do without until funds permit it

Quote Originally Posted by Beadjoux View Post
    Hi all, I've not been here for a ling time, but am finally setting up my hobby as a small business (though I still have much to learn!). I've recently acquired an old jeweller's bench after much searching and so have reorganised my workshop.

My little polishing machine is adequate but I have no dust extraction, and though I do use a face mask to protect myself, I of course end up with scruffy surfaces and equipment.

How do you manage this in your own work space? Do I need to spend lots to resolve it?

I am considering buying one of these /foredom-filter-hood-with-extractor. You might like it too, not sure what your budget is

Quote Originally Posted by handmadeblanks View Post
    I am considering buying one of these /foredom-filter-hood-with-extractor. You might like it too, not sure what your budget is
    Not so much your budget, as what price youn put on your heath and the state of your room.

Two things to investigate before buying:
    The foredom polisher is quite small, so check the hight of the machine you intend using .
    Secondly, how often do you change the filters and what do they cost?.

Also remember polish will inhibit solder flow its not good to have everything covered in fine polish dust !

If the filters are anything like those on my dustmaster then I'd buy dressmakers wadding and cut it to size. All mine has are cardboard boxes with the wadding. I just hoover them after a long bout of polishing.

I don't know what compound You use but luxi is less messy than rouge and tripoli and according to the blurb on the Cookson page menzerna even more so although I haven't tried it yet

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    If the filters are anything like those on my dustmaster then I'd buy dressmakers wadding and cut it to size. All mine has are cardboard boxes with the wadding. I just hoover them after a long bout of polishing.

I don't know what compound You use but luxi is less messy than rouge and tripoli and according to the blurb on the Cookson page menzerna even more so although I haven't tried it yet
    I think I will do the same here. I still have the box my Durston roller came in, it's very strong and should cut down nicely. I'm really only just transitioning from hobbyist to tentative small business and can't yet afford a proper extractor. I've got most things I need for now, and this will be high on my list for future purchases!

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    Also remember polish will inhibit solder flow its not good to have everything covered in fine polish dust !
    This is a great point Josef!

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Depends on the type of machine you have if you are using a hand piece then it most often just means you will need to clean up after you are finished, you have a dedicated buffing machine, then enclose the top and sides to prevent dust etc
    traveling where you don't want it, ideal set up would be to have the enclosed area fitted with dust extraction, although you can do without until funds permit it
    Yes, I have a small machine, though I do occasionally use a pendant motor for fiddly bits!

Quote Originally Posted by handmadeblanks View Post
    Not seen those before, thanks for the link. I do have a polisher already, it's just that I'm not good at containing mess! 🤣