Thread: Marks on non precious metals?

Default Marks on non precious metals?

Hi,

This is more of a curiosity thing really. I know gold and silver need to be hall marked at the relevant weights, can other metals be marked. My partner found this in an antiques shop and can't find out what the markings mean. Just wondered if anyone knew what they meant and it got me wondering about marking of other metals?

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0053 (3).jpg  

The EP is for electro plated silver and old plate is notorious for having marks made to look like a silver hallmark. Another mark is usually EPNS which is electro plated nickel silver. Mum was left a silver tea service which we were led to believe was solid silver. Recently I thought I might just sell it for scrap and on closer inspection it was just very good plate, it had been polished over the years to within an inch of its life and never shown any sign of wear!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    The EP is for electro plated silver and old plate is notorious for having marks made to look like a silver hallmark. Another mark is usually EPNS which is electro plated nickel silver. Mum was left a silver tea service which we were led to believe was solid silver. Recently I thought I might just sell it for scrap and on closer inspection it was just very good plate, it had been polished over the years to within an inch of its life and never shown any sign of wear!
    Thank you very much That makes sense.