Thread: Boulder opal pendant with sapphire and tourmaline in rose gold

Default Boulder opal pendant with sapphire and tourmaline in rose gold

Ive decided to start a new range thats nothing to do with horsehair but everything to do with gemstones as Im somewhat addicted to them, especially opals, sapphires and tourmalines.
    So this is the first of a set of designs I have that Im trying to find time to make ( my idea of a christmas break lol)
    Boulder opal from the Australian opal auctions to which Im trying really hard to break the habit lol
    Sapphires from an Etsy shop that I rather like who sells some really lovely peach colours and Tourmaline from another Etsy shop that sometimes has some really nice blue greens.
    I pierced the flowers out by hand which was actually easier than I expected given their size , last time I did a bigger one on a bracelet and made individual petals thinking I could arrange them together but it was a real pain trying to control where the solder went.
    The most difficult aspect this time was stone setting in the rose gold because of its springiness.
    I used 0.5mm for the bezels and rolled it down to 0.35mm.
    The wire is 1.2mm and the claw setting is 0.8mm wire.
    The opal is 22.5mm by 13.5mm to give an idea of overall size.

Im currently finishing another opal and tourmaline pendant in a different style, a bracelet to go with this and a platinum and gold ring ( thank you Peter for the tips!) and am happy to share if anybody is interested Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flowerpendantcrop.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	10818
    Last edited by enigma; 29-12-2017 at 10:48 PM.

Thats elegant art neuveau and a beautiful colour combnation of metal and stones, Sarah. I'm sure it will be in demand. Dennis.

That's a nice setting and nicely compliments a nice piece of opal without over shadowing it

Really nice , I love the combination of the Boulder opal and Sapphire my 2 favourites of the moment that I am cutting.

That's a really pretty piece, I like the proportions.