Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Dremel 4000 worth buying?

I normally go with the Busch ones, are the carbide ones a lot better then Peter?

The tooth structure is very different on 1AU (Busch do ordinary carbide ball burrs too, which are just a carbide version of the steel ones). From memory, they're kind of offset slightly, rather than radial. Still rotationally symmetric. For stone setting - especially in gold - they're a useful addition. However... With a steel burr, you can readily dissolve it out if it breaks - or drill it with carbide. For a carbide burr, I resort to destroying it with the laser.

I got my new micro motor (same model as yours Dennis), i love it already as the handpiece is small and the adjustable speed makes it a lot less scary than a conventional drill. I've been trying it with round burrs from busch so far to etch a basic pattern into some copper. I find the burr tends to catch the metal and jump or run away. Is it something i'm doing wrong or is that normal? Sheena.

Best wishes for your new career then, Sheen.

I get laughed at when I launch into this spiel, but some members have come round to my view.

The first thing to learn is not to hold the handpiece like a pen, but grip it in your fist like a potato peeler, using you thumb on the bech peg, or on your work piece for support. This will give you much more control and can be used in most situations. It only takes you a short time to be comfortable with this.

The wandering is further reduced by a combination of slightly increasing the speed, and pressing less hard. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, will give it a go. I'm always open to new ideas. Ps my vermiculite sheet arrived a couple of days ago and i fired up my new torch for the first time yesterday. No doubt this will result in more questions. But will try and ration them. Hee heee