Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dremel 4000 worth buying?

If it's steel, it's really nice if it isn't hardened - only sadists expect that. Carbide burrs work, albeit slowly. For non ferrous hardened usually gives a fractionally cleaner cut with burrs, but there's not much in it.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Hi Sheen

The micromotors aren't for engraving unless Im very much mistaken.
    The Dremel engraver was mentioned way back in the thread as useful for its hammer action but as an engraver its awful ( in my elite opinion lol).
    For engraving you would need a graver , the machines are pretty expensive but you should learn to do it by hand first anyway using hand held gravers.
    Your other options for lettering are letter stamping or etching.
    Investigated gravers but even getting one set up is a little to much for me at the moment, but if anyone ever offers a course near me I'd be interested to check it out. Also had a look at salt etching which may also be a future possibility love your horse hair rings.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    If it's steel, it's really nice if it isn't hardened - only sadists expect that. Carbide burrs work, albeit slowly. For non ferrous hardened usually gives a fractionally cleaner cut with burrs, but there's not much in it.
    Thanks Peter

You can get hand gravers, Sheen although I will be the first to say its not easy to do :
    http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...ver&channel=uk
    But I misread was you were wanting to do actually, you may find the diamond burrs useful too for creating a textured area
    http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-CCS

Thanks enigma, have added these to my shopping trolley.

But shop around. They can be found more cheaply, for instance here:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Earlywish-2...l+diamond+burs

Okay, thanks Dennis will check it out. Was going to look for some cheap diamond bits for shell/seaglass (after reading the threads about this on the forum). Sometimes it difficult to know when you can go cheap. What about normal drill bits and burrs? Can you go cheap on those too? Or is it best not to?
    Last edited by Sheen; 01-01-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Yes, provided you keep an eye on the shank size, you can go cheap with diamonds and burrs. The ones offered to the jewellry trade are already among the cheapest available. Dennis.

I find the cheaper burrs wear out quicker but maybe its just me?
    Im talking about ball burrs rather than diamond burrs though.

I've got some Ukrainian dental burrs (non diamond) I picked up a while back, they don't last as well as Busch. Then there's the AU carbides, which are a world apart.