Thread: bezel setting for a free form boulder opal

Smile bezel setting for a free form boulder opal

Hi everyone,
    can anyone advise me? I'm trying to make a bezel setting for a boulder opal and I have made the bezel with 5mm fine silver which I have filed and it's now 4mm all around the stone. I used easy solder to close the bezel and now thinking maybe I should have used hard solder for this? There is approx a 2mm length above the stone which seems to be fairly flat all around, however there are parts of the stone which on top seem irregular so the bezel will fold over the stone unevenly? Do I file the bezel to match the contours of the stone or keep the bezel even all around in which case some parts may appear deeper when pushed over? It's my first time with this kind of stone and I chose a triangular shape ... well I'm finding it challenging to say the least and also, because I'm unsure it's taking me a long time because I keep stopping to try to read information on the internet... and reading conflicting advice. Then I also read that you should maybe put epoxy in the base which I would prefer not to do as my base is flat. I'm hoping to complete it for my daughters christmas present so any help on completing this would be much appreciated! I was going to put it on a 3mm round wire for the ring shank but does anyone think this is too thick and would it look better with 2mm wire? I don't have other shapes of wire to choose from, just round at the moment. Thank you. I'm going to try to also put some pictures here although they are not really close up they will hopefully give you an idea of what I'm attempting... thanks...Jane
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	opal cab 1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	10801

Name:	opal cab 2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	10802

Name:	opal ab 3.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	10803

Name:	opal cab 4.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	10804

Name:	back of opal cab 5.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	10805

Hi Jane

My opinion is that for it to look neat you need the same height from the stone all around so if the stone has dips you need to follow them in the bezel height before pushing over.
    Also get the top as smooth as possible first as you can't clean up once its on an opal and be sure you push over as smoothly as possible too- make sure its well annealed before starting.
    The closer you can match this he neater the finish will be.
    3mm round wire would be very thick to wear, I generally use flat sheet or D shape wire but if you only have round I guess go with the 2mm.
    I see no need for glue as its correct pushing over of the bezel that secures the stone, it may be that whoever told you that only glues into cast settings.
    Last edited by enigma; 23-12-2017 at 12:42 AM.

Ha ha, we have split our advice, but luckily Sara and I agree, although mine is more long winded. Dennis.

I just read yours Dennis and found it more concise than mine

Hi Enigma and Dennis... thank you both so much for all your advice!!! It's really helpful, my opal is flat but it does have a couple of dips on the surface so I will attempt to follow the shape of the stone with the bezel after reading your advice. This is awsome... wish me luck! Thanks guys ! Merry christmas to you!!! Janie xxx

You're welcome
    Good luck, Im sure your daughter will love the ring.