Thread: Hello from Edinburgh!

Red face Hello from Edinburgh!

Hi everyone, I've been making silver jewellery for about 3.5 years now, although it doesn't seem like it... I'm mostly self taught, other than a 10 day introductory course to jewellery making I did in spring 2014. I've learned a lot from YouTube, (Soham Harrison for some great tutorials and Giacomo I for awe leading to inspiration), and have read several books on jewellery making/silver smithing. I got into it through a need to solder properly in order to finish a range of kilt pin I was working on with my father and having cast, but the creativity and fun of making jewellery from scratch took over. I love making all sorts of things, but I'm pretty sure I've found my niche. I've come across this forum several times when trying to find particular information, and I thought it was about time I join up! Whilst I've so much yet to learn, I've probably got enough knowledge now to be able to contribute a little

Hi Alastair, thought i'd say a quick hi from Perth, Scotland. I've been making for about the same amount of time but mostly costume jewelery. This year i got into sheet metal and i've just bought a mini torch to use in the new year. Had a look at your work. Love the chunkyness of it and your photo etched moon pendant is gorgeous. The great thing about jewellery is that the disipline is so broad you can pretty much make any shape, in any style, with any material, which makes it good for anyone who gets bored easily. See you on the boards, sheena

Hello from Fife too Alistair! I've been looking at your work and would say yes you've definitely got the bug

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    Hi Alastair, thought i'd say a quick hi from Perth, Scotland. I've been making for about the same amount of time but mostly costume jewelery. This year i got into sheet metal and i've just bought a mini torch to use in the new year. Had a look at your work. Love the chunkyness of it and your photo etched moon pendant is gorgeous. The great thing about jewellery is that the disipline is so broad you can pretty much make any shape, in any style, with any material, which makes it good for anyone who gets bored easily. See you on the boards, sheena
    Thanks Sheena. If that's the Smith mini torch you're talking about, it's a wonderful piece of kit. Definitely worth the investment!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Hello from Fife too Alistair! I've been looking at your work and would say yes you've definitely got the bug
    Thanks. I've definitely got the bug! :-)