Thread: 9ct yellow gold question

Default 9ct yellow gold question

Hey guys, I have what I bet is a quick question in regard to 9ct yellow gold. I’ve worked exclusively in silver up until this point but thought I’d try my hand at a gold piece. I did a little wax work and had it cast in 9ct yellow, and went on to purchase a chain from Cookson in the same aloy, but the yellows don’t match up at all 😢 it’s so noticeable I’m not sure I want to continue with it. Why would this be? And am I right in guessing there isn’t much I can do about it?

Thank you!
    Leigh

The colours of 9ct. gold can vary a lot because of the alloys. Most 9ct. jewellery that is sold in shops has been gold plated slightly to give a uniform colour. A system called flash gilding if you want to get it done.

Bear in mind that 9ct. gold alloy is only 37.5% of fine gold, the rest of the alloy is what creates the various colours, a red colour comes with a high copper content in the alloy while a paler colour comes with a high silver content.

James

Thanks for your speedy reply, James, that’s great to know. So could I remove the flash gilding applied to the chain with some light abrasive action? Or would that just be stupid? I prefer the look of the more muted 9ct.

I find the yellow of the chains mutes over time to match better.