Thread: Ring guage and stick - half-size or no?

Default Ring guage and stick - half-size or no?

Time to buy a ring guage and stick. In the panel's expert opinion is it better to buy the more expensive half-sizer versions?

Thank you for any advice.

Michael

For the UK it is worh having a Wheatsheaf one (aluminium will do), to give you a better chance of comparison with other users.

Personally, I did not find it difficult to make halfway marks with a saw. They dont have to go all the way round. Dennis.

Thank you for your reply (and tip about the halfway saw marks), Dennis. You've saved me a few pounds. Is it worth investing the saved money in a ring guage with half-sizes?

I find it easy enough to estimate half sizes so wouldn't worry about it personally.

I agree, but make sure it's a Wheat sheaf again, so that everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet. Dennis.

Thank you for your advice, Dennis and Sarah. I'm trying to avoid buying each item more than once and it seems the cheaper option (without the half-sizes) is the correct one this time.

You're welcome.
    If you are making rings for distance customers the plastic ring gauges from Cooksons also work well.