Thread: Smiths little torch - Oxy/gas regulators

Default Smiths little torch - Oxy/gas regulators

After looking at the Smiths Little Torch for some time I eventually bought one from Cookson. It looks great however I'm trying to find the right low pressure regulators for oxygen & gas.
    The one Cookson recommend for oxygen has an output of up to 10 BAR.
    However the torch instructions suggest from 2 (Acetylene) to 8 PSI for both oxy/gas which equates to only around 0.1 to 0.5 BAR depending on the tip size used.
    As far as I can tell this means that having a 10 BAR regulator would make it very hard to accurately differentiate between 0.1 and 0.5 BAR.
    The recommended propane regulator doesn't have a gauge so I'm not sure that it would be possible to set the pressure accurately?
    Is there somewhere in the U.K. That sells the Smith's manufactured low pressure regulators - I can find them in the US but the cost is relatively high and then add on £30-40 postage it becomes prohibitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Andy, there are lots of people here who can answer that question, but you might have to be patient as they are not always looking. In the mean time, you could browse:
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=re...OeuGgAaggI3IAw

Being in Australia I purchased my torch and gauges from here http://www.nichegas.com.au/mini-torch-c-2_47.html if you you are unable to source them in the UK then it may be a option for you, they have gauges specifically for the little torch
    and in Australia they are considerably lees expensive than the Smith's product.

Hi Andy
    I have a Smith's little torch but I run it from an oxycon and a disposable bottle of mapp gas - so probably a different regulator - so not much help!
    Hope someone else can answer your question.
    Sally

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Being in Australia I purchased my torch and gauges from here http://www.nichegas.com.au/mini-torch-c-2_47.html if you you are unable to source them in the UK then it may be a option for you, they have gauges specifically for the little torch
    and in Australia they are considerably lees expensive than the Smith's product.
    I agree but it is advisable to also get the flashback arresters as well. I too purchased mine from them too but for a different similar tourch but same regulators and flashback arresters. They are very helpful with good advice as well. Helped me out too with pricing. But we have been evicted so won't be able to use any of my jewellery equipment for good knows how long, just finished collecting most of the tools, non have been used. Going in to storage.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Regards,

Peter

That's not good Peter I hope you get things sorted soon, I agree flashback arresters are a must

Hope you will soon be back on track Peter. Dennis.

Thanks to everyone for their advice! I managed to come down with horrid flu just after posting the question and forgot to check back after I recovered as life was way too busy! I think an oxygen concentrator might be the way forward rather than oxygen bottles - I’ll then just need a reg for the gas and flashback arrestees. Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi. Found myself in the exact same situ. Which way did you go. I'm thinking about oxycon too, as people saying oxygen throw cans don't last long. I want a lightweight small setup. Cannot go the way of bottles and tanks.