Thread: Hello from Perth scotland

Default Hello from Perth scotland

Although I've already posted questions thought I should introduce myself properly. Been making jewellery for abt 3 years now. Starting with the once popular loom bands then moving on to kumihimo and costume jewellery and finally buying a bench block to make earwires. Now I'm into rivets and thick gauge wire, making mainly rings and earrings in brass, copper and sometimes silver. I have had a lot of questions but as I am self taught no one to ask, so the forum has been fantastic already.

Hi Sheen, just 17 miles down the road in Fife.
    Always plenty of help here and apparently many useful videos etc on tinternet! I love rivets and use them a lot, maybe it's a Scottish thing

Hi Caroline, yeah I think I'll be using rivets as long as a make jewellery, it's very satisfying. I started with the preformed ones and in the last few months started riveting with wire. Dennis has already given me some advice about how to make one with a ready to go head, so that is my next learning curve when I get a vice for xmas hopefully I had a wee peek at your jewellery, it's lovely. I particularly liked your square pendant with the oval stone in the middle and the engraved/etched tendrils. If you don't mind me asking how did you do that? Was it with a tool?

Thanks Sheen, that is everyone's favourite just now, you can't go wrong with Labradorite at the moment. It's laser cut pattern through the rolling mill which added another dimension to the piece. I didn't want to risk solder leeching into it which is another reason I riveted the presoldered bails on. I can't use chemicals for health reasons or I would have liked to try etching over the years but happy with this result.
    I'm doing the Open Studio in May, if you drive you should come down, there are quite a few jewellers next year for the first time all very different

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Thanks Sheen, that is everyone's favourite just now, you can't go wrong with Labradorite at the moment. It's laser cut pattern through the rolling mill which added another dimension to the piece. I didn't want to risk solder leeching into it which is another reason I riveted the presoldered bails on. I can't use chemicals for health reasons or I would have liked to try etching over the years but happy with this result.
    I'm doing the Open Studio in May, if you drive you should come down, there are quite a few jewellers next year for the first time all very different
    That wasn't what I expected, haven't come across laser cut pattern before. I'm the same as you in avoiding the chemicals due to health. I have been looking at the salt water and battery etch technique as a possibility (as well as those dremel etching pens but people seem to think they're a bit rubbish.) I would love to visit your studio as I would be keen to see your equipment and work in the flesh but I don't get out of Perth much due to my health.

That's a shame, that's the reason I only do the OS as it's from home and less of a stress from the house even with 350 visitors. If you do some searches on here about etching there are a lot of posts. I think you're right about the dremel though. I think the laser cut papers came from Canada on Etsy but you'd need access to a rolling mill

I read you can use a car instead of a rolling mill...or was it a car instead of a hammer? Either way sounds a bit messy.

Sounds a bit random if your looking for precision, did it mention a make of car