Thread: Pickle after annealing?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Pickle after annealing?

This is probably a dumb question: Is it necessary to pickle after annealing if the metal is going to be worked further, like rolling or hammering? I understand the need to pickle after soldering or pouring a new ingot, but is it required after every time the metal is annealed? I got into the habit of pickling whenever I’ve used the torch on the metal, but now I’m starting to question whether it is actually required.

Thanks.

The truth is I have no idea, but in the back of my mind is the worry that if I work discoloured silver, some of that will be submerged and resist removal in the future, or taint the rollers of my mill.

It says something about me though that I have never done an experiment to refute this. What do you call an old wives tale perpetuated by a man? Dennis.

Same from me, it's what I was taught but I can't remember being given a reason

I am with Dennis on this one I was also taught to pickle after annealing etc. the reason being too much risk of embedding unwanted stain etc.

What Dennis says makes sense to me although it certainly wasn't a dumb question, well either that or Im dumb too cos I didn't know the answer

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The truth is I have no idea, but in the back of my mind is the worry that if I work discoloured silver, some of that will be submerged and resist removal in the future, or taint the rollers of my mill.

It says something about me though that I have never done an experiment to refute this. What do you call an old wives tale perpetuated by a man? Dennis.
    Is it wisdom?

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I don't always anneal - especially when I'm rolling or drawing wire, or making a bowl - partly because my pickle pot is too small for even rolled up lengths of wire and partly because I know I'm just going to torch it again several times before I can use it. Final pickle has always sorted it out for me - having said that I'm usually using copper rather than silver.
    Sally

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    True, but people put pepper on strawberries.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    True, but people put pepper on strawberries.
    I recently had the most delicious meal in my favourite restaurant which consisted of Seabass in banana , so I wouldn't make rash judgments about tomatoes and fruit salad