Thread: Green color gold in least karrat

Default Green color gold in least karrat

Respected experts
    I'm new to the forum and also in coloured gold making.
    I need to make a dark bright green ring with least possible gold for a 48 cents round diamond .
    Would you please inform me the percentage of the metals I require and process too .
    Regards.

The lowest carat in UK is 9ct and it comes in green, but green gold only looks green when put together with other golds.

On its own it will just look golden, so why not use copper and bring up the verdegris with salt and ammonia. Then wax it. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The lowest carat in UK is 9ct and it comes in green, but green gold only looks green when put together with other golds.

On its own it will just look golden, so why not use copper and bring up the verdegris with salt and ammonia. Then wax it. Dennis.
    I'm wondering if you mean "green gold only looks green when put together with other metals."? Surely 'other' gold on its own will also just look golden. I've searched the periodic table and I can only find one kind of gold...the gold coloured one: [Atomic number 79].

Its not to do with the periodic table. There is only one element Au.

What we are discussing is the green(ish) alloy used in jewellery, whose colour cast is so subtle that it would not be noticed by an inexperienced person.

However if used in say the Russian wedding ring, where one band can be red and another yellow say, the play of colours becomes more apparent.

My picture shows three colours of 9ct gold, yellow, white and red, as a different example. I don't have a photo of green. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Russian Wedding Ring.jpg  
    Last edited by Dennis; 03-01-2018 at 09:14 AM.

TBH, I wouldn't put much effort in on this. The alloys and their colours are pretty well defined; there's been a few developments on surface treatments resulting in e.g. chocolate gold, but I see them as more of a gimmick than anything (also somewhat vulnerable to wear). Blue & purple are doable, but they're not really workable alloys (horrible intermetallics). Green - as Dennis says - is only green in as much as it's not quite as gold as gold...

Most 18ct. green gold alloys are just 75% fine gold and 25% fine silver. It may be called green gold but as Peter said it is just a paler version of standard yellow gold which usually has a percentage of copper in the alloy as well as silver.
    In my past I used green gold when making carved leaves on some of my pieces.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post

Hello Dennis ,
    Could you please inform me the possibility to get green color metal ( may be mixing various ones ) to use in the ring . Would copper do it and if yes , please inform me in details.
    Thanks for your information.

Well, you've seen the replies and I stand by what I originally said. Cookson do green 18 ct and that is all at the moment.

Most of us are averse to mixing gold with other metals. I can only suggest you do your own experiments, but the results will be underwhelming.

Copper isn't great for rings, it tends to turn the fingers green.

copper will give you rose gold, If you quench a casting from hot the copper will come to the surface making it redder