Thread: Will I need a flash back arrestor

Default Will I need a flash back arrestor

Hey guys, I have just got my hands on an orca propane torch, I have my propane bottle and reg all set up.

There's just one stumbling point... Do I need a flash back arrestor?
    My understanding is I don't as I am only using fuel gas, no oxygen to accelerate burning so no risk of filling the line with oxygen rich air. Is that right?
    I would prefer not to bpow myself up!

I think you answered your own question if you dont want to blow yourself up then fit one ! ;-)

https://www.boconline.co.uk/en/healt...ice/index.html This document talks about flashback arrestors

Ok, but still not clear. This talks about fitting them when using oxygen in conjunction with fuel gases, not just propane.
    The problem I have is that I only have a little bottle with a 4 bar maximum output, I am a little concerned 4 bar isn't enough to open the arrestor.
    If I dont need one it's no problem, if I do I may have to buy another reg.
    I guess whats the difference between a torch and a bbq I guess? Bbqs don't tend to have an arrestor, flame intensity perhaps?
    Last edited by sam.k; 20-11-2017 at 03:38 PM.

Dont think there is much difference but Im not going to say you dont need one on a forum if you get my drift.

Fair enough mate.
    Looking at pre assembled sievert kits and none come with an arrestor, further muddying of the waters...

Quote Originally Posted by sam.k View Post
    Fair enough mate.
    Looking at pre assembled sievert kits and none come with an arrestor, further muddying of the waters...
    I don't use one and I am 99.9% certain you don't need one if all you are using is a single fuel like propane. The reason I say this is that a propane flame quickly dies away if starved of oxygen. With a single fuel system it can only get Oxygen from the surrounding air. With an Oxy-fuel system there is an oxygen tank 'pushing' oxygen out under pressure and this can cause the flashback. I am not an expert, so do your own research.

Although I'm unsure of the science behind your setup, for the sake of £20-25 I would get one just to be on the safe side!

I nearly set myself on fire once with my Sievert torch, and it was a lesson rapidly learnt!

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by handmadeblanks View Post
    With a single fuel system it can only get Oxygen from the surrounding air. With an Oxy-fuel system there is an oxygen tank 'pushing' oxygen out under pressure and this can cause the flashback. I am not an expert, so do your own research.
    After reading this thread it got me thinking about my own set up and my own research agrees with the above. Admittedly the best description I found was relating to gas cookers but the same principles would apply. As the pressure in the gas pipe exceeds atmospheric pressure there is no chance of oxygen entering the pipe and therefore it cannot ignite.

Personally I don't see the need for one although that being said as has been mentioned previously for the sake of £20-30 it may give you peace of mind.

That was my reasoning however I have an arrestor coming now just in case.

However it needs to be said...

**** the bed those steel rings are incredible!

That's all.