Thread: Corners

Default Corners

Forgive me if I am missing the obvious with this question, ruining perfectly good silver is my retirement hobby, so put it down to my great age and rapidly advancing senility. I sometimes try to use square tube to make things but when it comes to finishing and polishing I instantly lose the crisp corners and by the time it gets that final polish the shape and sharp, 90 dg angles are almost gone. Is there any way of polishing that would help me maintain the corners?

New and forgot to say 'hello', see what I mean about senility...

Hi Les

Depending on what finish you intend and what polisher you have there will be different options. Micromesh on a bench plate moving the piece in a rotational direction to polish it evenly. On a bench polisher I would use the side not the front of hard felt mops which give you a larger surface area to keep it flat. These are the only 2 options I use so can't comment on using a pendant polisher as I only use that for finicky bits and use the big polisher for everything

Yes as Caroline has said, it depends what finish you are after. If there is no clear access for mops and flat micro-mesh, then dont forget the 3M radial wheels used on a screw mandrel(yellow, red, blue and green).

I too am very keen on preserving the profiles and textures on my work and the first thing I invariable reach for is a wet and soapy jewellers brass brush. Often I need nothing more, but it splashes the walls. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Yes as Caroline has said, it depends what finish you are after. If there is no clear access for mops and flat micro-mesh, then dont forget the 3M radial wheels used on a screw mandrel(yellow, red, blue and green).

I too am very keen on preserving the profiles and textures on my work and the first thing I invariable reach for is a wet and soapy jewellers brass brush. Often I need nothing more, but it splashes the walls. Dennis.
    Need to get a brass brush. I always use the dremel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Sarah, I hope I can persuade you to try a hand brass brush, a three row one say. They are a different commodity altogether: much softer and gentler. They need rinsing and allowing to dry after, or they corrode and become hard. Dennis.

I shall give it a try the next time the opportunity arises Dennis, mostly my customers want a mirror finish and everything has horsehair in anyway so I haven't had much opportunity so far.