Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What gauge silver sheet for cuff bracelet?

Default What gauge silver sheet for cuff bracelet?

Hi, I want to make a silver cuff bracelet with a phrase stamped on it. Probably about 1cm wide by whatever circumference the wrist is.

I was thinking if using some 1mm sheet, is that too thick? Or too thin?

I think I use 1.2 for my cuffs I would need to check, if you want to stamp it you need a bit of thickness. 1cm wide probably more of a bangle than a cuff maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Littlewhitefeathers View Post
    Hi, I want to make a silver cuff bracelet with a phrase stamped on it. Probably about 1cm wide by whatever circumference the wrist is.

I was thinking if using some 1mm sheet, is that too thick? Or too thin?
    1mm is normally a good overall thickness for all applications, I use it for pendants, and when I get round to making brackets I would use 1mm aswell, if your wanting it to feel quite light on the wrist you could try 80 or 90mm, I've used 60mm in the past and that is quite thin, and I find its better for layered projects.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tigerangel71 View Post
    1mm is normally a good overall thickness for all applications, I use it for pendants, and when I get round to making brackets I would use 1mm aswell, if your wanting it to feel quite light on the wrist you could try 80 or 90mm, I've used 60mm in the past and that is quite thin, and I find its better for layered projects. Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk
    I'm afraid a few decimal points have dropped off that reply. The thickness of sheet used, depends on the width and also whether it has an anticlasic curvature.

For a plain10mm wide strip in sterling, 1.0mm can be a bit flimsy, so I'm with Caroline at 1.2mm. Here is a similar recent thread, which might be of interest. Dennis.

I would definitely go for 1.2mm if you are eating to stamp it.

It's fair to assume Sarah was hungry when she wrote that. Dennis.

Thanks all! Think I'll go for 1.2
    I want the stamping on the inside, I take it this will leave a slight mark on the outside that will need polished out?

Possibly scuffing rather than displacement which would have happened with thinner metal, depending of course how deep or hard you hit it with a hammer. It's worth practicing on scrap to get a feel for it if you haven't already done this. Sorry I'm making assumptions which may be wrong It will rub out with either micromesh or wet and dry. I tend to have a matt finish on the inside of my bangles but that's my choice

I'd definitely go with 1.2mm as already advised, at 1cm width anything less would be too flimsy.

You will definitely get some marking on the front of your bangle if you are stamping on the inside. I would buff these off with a couple of grades of paper, then polish

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    It's fair to assume Sarah was hungry when she wrote that. Dennis.
    Haha! gotta love spellcheck!