Thread: The Black Cube.

Default The Black Cube.

One of our college projects this term was to make a piece of jewellery based on the idea of the black cube.

Our department is twinned with ceramics, and glass cases have been reserved for a joint exhibition later.

When I don’t have a recipient in mind I tend to go for inexpensive materials, so I used up remnants of latex foam from an old mouse mat for the cube. The findings were made from assorted white metals and the back plate has the corners turned down, to insert into the foam.
    Just for fun, I cut some disks from red foam to jazz it up

The whole thing was quickly assembled using the gel superglue beloved of Wendy (Pearlescence). However, a 3g container is soon used up, so it’s best to have a spare to hand.

Of course this is just a prototype, but I would struggle to make a wearable version in metal. Could you?

Loctite Powerflex Superglue, cheaper from Sainsbury. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bcp1 Black Cube Brooch.jpg   Bcp2 Revese.jpg  

Interesting design Dennis!
    Im sure you would have no problem making it up in metal having seen many of the tricky items you have already made.
    I guess getting a black finish that doesn't wear off may be tricky, particularly for the outside edges.

Making in metal, interesting, black coating that does not wear off, I use a product( UK Link= (http://www.hi-speccoatings.co.uk/) for other items not jewellery , fairly involved process and some equipment required may not be on most people's wish list
    I have easy access as my mate has the full set up, I have considered the possibility of using it for jewellery
    "Does not wear off" I don't there is such a coating, in saying that Cerakote is extremely tough many times more resistant to damage than any other coating used by jewelers that I know of.