Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Semi Precious Gemstone identification

Default Semi Precious Gemstone identification

Can anyone suggest a book on semi-precious gemstones for identifying purposes. Tumbled stones rather than raw uncut minerals as I want to check out what I have and could do with a good colour photo, rather than a drawing. Thanks in advance.

The one I found really useful was called "gemstones of the world" by W Schumann. you can still get it through the Gem-A bookstore - I think it's about £15 or so.....

The problem with books Pat, is that we all have different likes and dislikes in how they are set out and how much technical detail we want to read through.

I have not seen Steve's recommendation, but my most used one is Dorling Kindersley Handbooks: Gemstones. if possible look at them in a shop first.

For browsing stones once identified. AE Ward and Son online store is a good resource. Regards, Dennis. Dennis.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gemstones-of-the-world-pages.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	6852 here is a picture of the pages in Schumann......rhs is a colour picture and lhs is all the technical details and a description including sources......it's been my bible for 30 years as a gemmologist....

There are bunch of books to find on Amazon or ebay. I also got my books there. I hope you are more talented than me. Until today I have my big problems with semi precious gemstones. Good luck!

I would recommend the same book as Steve, the "gemstones of the world" by W Schumann has all the essential information you should need. It is clear and concise and easy to find your way around. I find it interesting and fairly easy to read and dip in and out of

Default hello

I recommend you The Classification, Identification, and Characteristics of Gemstones - A Collection of Historical Articles on Precious and Semi-Precious Stones & Firefly Guide to Gems. This book is so informative, so inclusive. Hope it's helpful. Have a nice day

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by sarahjohn5 View Post
    I recommend you The Classification, Identification, and Characteristics of Gemstones - A Collection of Historical Articles on Precious and Semi-Precious Stones & Firefly Guide to Gems. This book is so informative, so inclusive. Hope it's helpful. Have a nice day
    Very interesting... first post in an old thread! Normally a trick reserved, as I understand, for those with a taste for luncheon meat.

All too often.

I've got Schumann handy (but for faceted I prefer Gem ID Made Easy).

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I have gemstone two books, one is Schumann, cat remember the other! I have sooooooooo many jewellery making related books! Refused to downsize my library when I moved! I have a dip in my house, ironically, where the books are kept! Lol

Might be useful again in the enxt couple of years. 47 days to go!