Thread: Tensioned wire ring

Default Tensioned wire ring

I'm currently experimenting with the idea of a bead ring where the bead is suspended from a wire. At the moment i'm a little wary that the wire will get all bent out of shape with wear. Is there a type of wire i could use abt .5mm in diameter that would be strong enough to cope but pliable enough for me to wrap the ends on itself? I don't solder. The picture is of my prototype the final version will be in silver.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171123_094906.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	10666
    Last edited by Sheen; 23-11-2017 at 09:50 AM.

Hi Sheen,

All round wires will harden more if you grasp one end and twist the other, perhaps three or four times. The roundness will not be affected.
    Go beyond the opimum hardness and it will weaken again and be liable to fracture.

Being under tension, silver would do for your rings, particularly if you could move up to 0.60mm. Two safer options for long term security would be stainless steel (sold as binding wire by Cookson) or 9ct white gold, which as thin wire won't break the bank.

You might also consider broadening you horizon by starting to solder. You could learn how from U-tube videos and be able to secure wires by other means. Dennis.

Hi Dennis, excellent info. Will definitely be trying the twisting and having a look at using 0.6mm. I did come across the binding wire on Cookson yesterday and will have another look at it. You recommended a small torch to me for making rivets. Would that be a good amateur torch for basic things? I'm not going to solder at the moment but it's something I would like to try in the future.

The re-fillable micro torches perform much the same, so you might as well go for a cheap one: https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/solder-tec-microtorch.

If you want to spend more, then Cusins AF one and Cooksons Proxxon should be good too, but not necessarily better. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, you're a star!

Dennis, just to let you know that the binding wire worked a treat (the copper wire I had on it previously eventually got metal fatique). Still tempted to also try the white gold. I also went ahead and bought the torch you recommended, i'm currently working out what sort of soldering surface to buy, then I should be up and running.

Well done with your progress. If space is not too constricted, I would go for the Durston vermiculite soldering board, Cookson 999 9733, which gives plenty of protection to your work surface.
    The extra benefit is that ordinary dressmaking or stationery pins can be inserted to support work in close contact for some soldering operations, where it tends to move apart when heated.