Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Customer ring sizing

Default Customer ring sizing

I mainly like making rings and earrings and am likely to be mainly selling over the internet. What's the best way to get a customers ring size? The first ring i've sold (from the uk to america) was one size too small. So the two methods in the future i'm thinking of using is getting the cystomer to measure the inside width (at it's widest point) of a ring they already own, or getting them to use a 1cm wide paper strip to wrap round their finger and give me the resulting length. If there is a better way to do it i'd be very interested.

You can get an app on your phone you put an existing ring on that tells you the size its only as good as the person using it though.

You need to make clear that you will supply the size ordered. If the size is wrong it is the customer's fault not yours, so long as the size you make is the size ordered (double and triple check!) Worth pointing out that broader rings do need to be a bit bigger than thin shanks
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Thanks pearlescence, this reasures me to be confident with customers when i'm in the right. Unfortunatly in this case it was my fault, she gave me the american ring size 8, i used a conversion chart which gave me the uk size p (which i now think may have been unreliable and out by a half size) then i should have probably added another 1/2 size as it was a broad band. That's why i'm thinking i should ask for a measurement next time as it would remove the conversion issue.

This sounds interesting will check it out

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    You can get an app on your phone you put an existing ring on that tells you the size its only as good as the person using it though.
    This sounds interesting will check it out.

I use the plastic disposable ring sizers from Cooksons and find them extremely reliable.

The best way to convert from European size to American size is to have two mandrels one in each convention, +2 for the disposable ring sizers

Thanks china and enigma, going to buy some disposable ring sizers. This whole ring sizing thing has turned out to be rather complicated, particularly if you've got a very narrow band or wide band but hopefully i'll get the hang of it.

When I do a wide band I just take the size from the centre of the band, that works for me up to 10mm wide bands.
    I very rarely have any problems now since I started sending out those ring sizers- about 2 out of several hundred have needed adjusting and that was due to them not using the sizers correctly.
    Just make sure the sizers work with the mandrel you use.