Thread: Very sore fingers !!!

Default Very sore fingers !!!

Hello,

I have recently been making flat pendents, I roll them flat then onto a medium grindstone to smooth off then onto the emmery cloths, ready for the cutting /rouging mops...However, one thing that keeps happening ,is that I invaribly press the coin shaped pendent onto the grindstone...This is a loose grindstone which sits flat on a workbench... and my fingers/thumb slips along the piece and slide off....this has caused my Thumb.Forefinger and Middle finger to have small/painful burn/cuts that bleed everywhere for 10 mins

So is there any kind of equipment that I can buy that will give me a firm grip on the outside of the flat pendent and save my blood from seeping out of my fingers...it not only looks rough, its also incredibly painful

Many thanks

It is not entirely clear why you are doing that, but what is certain is that it is the wrong way to set about things.

What you need is a temporary handle on the reverse side. Depending on how hot it gets, this ranges from something simple, like a ball of BluTack, a piece of tape as used for hanging pictures (No More Nails), setters wax, or a temporarily soldered on tag, thin enough to snip off.

If your stone is stationary, you can also protect your fingers with jewellers finger tape, but finger protection with moving machinery is problematical. Dennis.

use double sided tape on the piece this will allow you fingers to grip without slipping off

Default Feeling small but grateful

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    use double sided tape on the piece this will allow you fingers to grip without slipping off
    Thank you for pointing the overlooked obvious out...I saw both your replies and felt rather small with my question on reflection.

Blue tack or double sided tape are perfect answers, thank you both

Skie

There is also the kinder method of using a handfile which does no harm to your fingers and does away with having to do anything to your work other than tidy it up

I also wrap this around my fingertips for extra protection if I know they are in danger of a bit of abrasion: http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-998-071

Oh! I see Dennis already suggested that, well here's the link anyway.

No need to feel small. Unfamiliar situation-unfamiliar remedy. But heat generated will cause them to release prematurely.Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Skieferins View Post
    Thank you for pointing the overlooked obvious out...I saw both your replies and felt rather small with my question on reflection.

Blue tack or double sided tape are perfect answers, thank you both

Skie
    Skid,

No question is dumb. Not asking the question is dumb.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Regards,

Peter