Thread: How to make snake chain tassel?

Default How to make snake chain tassel?

Hi everyone,

I'm puzzled as to how to create an idea I have in my head. The best way to describe it is a snake chain tassel. Here is a pic that best describes what I want (my finished item won't look like this, but it will have a cup that the end of the snake chain can go in)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silver_Tassel_Neckace_with_Turquoise_grande.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	10693

How is the snake chain attached? I can't figure it out. I have never soldered snake chain before, I haven't worked with it. What would you do to create this? Would each snake chain have an individual clamp on it, or jump ring? It doesn't look like there is room for this. I'm nervous about soldering snake chain anyway in case it's hard to bring the shine back to.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

I've had the components on my bench since May but haven't plucked up courage to put it all together. I'll see how it goes!

haha whats your plan? Just to solder straight into a cup?

I've also never used epoxy so don't know how well that would hold up to moving parts.

Let me know how you go!

There are two problems here:

How to make a bunch of strands for the tassle And how to solder them in:

Make a D-shaped jump ring to fit the cup, by pinching a large ring on one side to make a sraight bar. Melt easy solder all over the D and a generous amount into the top of the cup.

Drape double lengths of snake chain over the bar until you have the tassle you want.
    Pass thin silver wire through the curve of the D, join the ends and twist them to make a threader.

Now drag the tassle construction into position by passing the wire through a hole in the top of the cup.

Re-heating while hanging up will cause the solder to flow again (sweat soldering) securing all the parts. The spare wire can be trimmed off and a jump ring added with the same grade of solder. However the tassle must be on its side this time, or it might fall out of the cup again when heated.

Dont let your torch touch exposed chain, or it might melt. To shine it again after pickling and neutralising, brush it gently and patiently with a wet and soapy brass brush. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 23-11-2017 at 09:59 PM.