Thread: Cup collet? How do you make them?!

Default Cup collet? How do you make them?!

Hello all,

I'm just starting to make collet settings for gemstones, just round ones so far (other shaped collet/ bezel blocks are really expensive!).

I'd really like to know how the collet in the picture attached os made. It seems to have a partially closed back but it's rounded and I have no idea how this would be achieved. Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails il_570xN.1078681882_1a5i.jpg  

This is not your standard setting. But if there is a stone in there, then it will be a faceted stone, set from the back.

What you see is just a dome with an undersized hole cut in it and a slightly larger tube soldered in. The stone is then pushed in from behind and held in with spurs, or a ring, or a tube within the tube.

If you are just beginning, I would learn standard bezel, tube and flush settings first, to get the idea. They are on U-tube and in books or best of all a beginners course. Dennis.

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the info. I think maybe I do need a bit more practice! I can't really picture what you mean...do you mean a dome soldered onto a tube to give it that bullet shape?

I really want to do a course, I always find courses the most helpful rather than self teaching.

Many thanks,
    Helen

Hi Helen,
    It is possible to make an extra tall dome by working the punch around the inside. Anyhow, that's how I imagine it was done. It is also possible this was done in a bespoke doming block, not generally available.
    regards, Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Retaining Tube Set From Behind.jpg  

Thanks for the drawing, I see what you mean now! The photo I attached is the bottom of the collet so the stone cullet is facing that way rather than the top of that stone. See pic...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	il_570xN.1078681836_o9kg.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	10593

Look at Jim Miller's methods for forming egg shapes into lead blocks for a possible method.
    (But yes, it probably is cast!)