Thread: How to Size a Ring

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question How to Size a Ring

Hi guys,

A very simple part of jewellery making that seems to be causing me a lot of headaches at the moment!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20171107-084704.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	10573

In the example above how would you determine the ring size?

Personally I take the measurement from the center of the ring so in this instance the ring would be bang on a size 12 US. It seems that a number of people would consider this to be a US 12 1/4 though as they may take the size from the bottom edge. In this example there is only a 1/4 size difference but on wider or chunkier rings this can make a much more significant difference.

My reasoning for using the centerline for sizing is that if a ring is court shaped / comfort fit then the bottom edge method will give a different ring size depending on the width of the ring and on the radius of the inside of the ring. The center line however will remain the same regardless of these variables.

Is one method "right" and one "wrong" or is it simply that the international jewellery industry hasn't agreed on a standard and I'm doomed regardless of which method I use?

Thanks,

Sam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20171107-080416.jpg   Screenshot_20171107-080416.jpg