Thread: Stones with pierced silver overlay

Default Stones with pierced silver overlay

I wasn't quite sure how to word this but hopefully it makes sense! I picked up a couple of flat, thin interesting stones at a shop recently. They would be perfect I think as pendants with a silver pierced design over the top. I'm looking around for ideas on how best to construct this - I've been experimenting with wax casting for so long now I am lacking a bit of confidence at the moment!

Hi Sandra,
    In this brooch I set the stone on a back plate and attached the decorative mask to the fromt with four tubular rivets, which are easy to spread.
    The frame could also have been given some lugs, to bend over the back, or fixed with screws from a glasses repair kit, which will tap themselves into undersized holes.
    I hope that will give you a start. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fe1 Inside The Frame.jpg   fe2 The Eastern Brooch.jpg   fe3 Reverse Showing Screws.jpg  
    Last edited by Dennis; 04-11-2017 at 10:40 PM.

It does - thank you Dennis! Also love the idea of using paintings for the design. The backplate has an interesting texture, was that done with a rolling mill?

Yes cutain fabric wrapped round and put through the mill.